Thread: Fourth World (commission map)

Banned User

Default Fourth World (commission map)

These maps of the Fourth World were commissioned by Jürgen Graanoogst for his upcoming book. Jürgen asked me to do both a greyscale map for the print version of his book, and a full color map for the website and possible advertising use. So here are both of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fourth World Color by Cornelia Yoder.jpg 
Views:	642 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	76715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fourth World Greyscale by Cornelia Yoder.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	76710

Please feel free to comment
    Cheers,
    Cornelia
    Last edited by Chick; 10-12-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Really nice actually, both versions look cool and detailed. "Noble goat timberland" sounds.. um, interesting

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Cool! The map translates to colour very well. I haven't been brave enough to try this. Or I did once, but I haven't been brave enough to actually finish it! Congrats on the commission.

cheers,
    Meshon

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Cool! The map translates to colour very well. I haven't been brave enough to try this. Or I did once, but I haven't been brave enough to actually finish it! Congrats on the commission.

cheers,
    Meshon
    The hard part was figuring out whether to do the color first or the greyscale first. Which do you think would be easier? Color in the outlines from the greyscale? or saturate out the color and tone from the color map?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    The hard part was figuring out whether to do the color first or the greyscale first. Which do you think would be easier? Color in the outlines from the greyscale? or saturate out the color and tone from the color map?
    I think my first instinct would be to colour in the greyscale. I feel like it would be a lot harder to desaturate a colour image and still retain all the detail. Of course Photoshop gives you pretty fine control over that kind of process.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Nice! Think I like the greyscale version better. Tried to rep you, but I can't.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd definitely do a B/W line art version first, then colour it, rather than the other way around. Never tried, but it feels logical. I've only done one black & white map before, and now I want to try colouring it, just to see how it turns out. It's an interesting challenge.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I like how you did the wastelands in "The Grim Frontier". Congrats on the commission.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh