Thread: Mountainside City/Local region

Map Mountainside City/Local region

Hi Cartographer's Guild!

I've loved to see all the amazing maps all over this forum, and I've come to seek your aid, if anyone would like to give it I would be eternally greatful!

I've been developing a campaign setting for a long time now, I had a friend draw up a world map, which was quite nice of him to do, but when it comes to smaller regions or towns/cities, I've been basically going mapless, or just having to describe the areas as best I can with words. For my upcoming game, since the players are going to be basing primarily out of a single city, I'd love to wow them with a city map that they can familiarize themselves with, get to know who lives where, and just all around better visualize the city. I've attached a (very) rough sketch of what I imagined the town to be like below. I was thinking something in the style of this though with the houses more compact. To explain the map, as it's rather crude, the grey areas is where the mountains begin, the brown circle is where i'd like the castle, and the grey lines are walls separating the different districts. The district with the castle is a noble's district, so the houses would be larger and with more space and gardens, while the lower district is the commoner's and trade district, so tight houses, with market squares and plenty of roads. The brown is just the main road that i initially came up with, but i don't mind those changing plenty.

If it's possible, I'd also like a regional map of the area for the players to adventure in. I don't really have much in mind beyond just a mountain range at the top heading East-Southeast at about a 20-30 degrees angle with plains and forests below. There are a smattering of towns and small hamlets in the region, which I would leave up to the discretion of the mapmaker, names aren't necessary though. I would like a small hotsprings village in the mountains a short way west from the main city though. I have no particular style in mind for the regional map.

The reason why this is labelled Paid? is because I hope to one day publish this campaign setting in the future if things go well, and if it becomes a reality, I would be very much interested in purchasing the distribution rights to the maps if they're of sufficient quality, but until then it will just be for private use.

Sketch of city map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	417.3 KB 
ID:	76816

Banned User

Hi Crake, you need to post an email address so people who might be interested could contact you

Oh right! I totally forgot, I read it in the readme thread, but as I was putting it together, it just completely slipped my mind. My email is viktor.spirovski<at>gmail.com thanks for reminding me!
    Last edited by Crake; 10-22-2015 at 12:14 AM.

Since this is a public site, you might want to make your email not quite so easy just to save yourself from random web scrapers. It seems most will put their email in as name<atsign>whatever.com or something along those lines. At least it takes a human to put together your address that way.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Since this is a public site, you might want to make your email not quite so easy just to save yourself from random web scrapers. It seems most will put their email in as name<atsign>whatever.com or something along those lines. At least it takes a human to put together your address that way.
    Thanks for the advice, I've gone ahead and changed it