Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Temples

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    That looks very nice T. You should do more of these.
    I agree, not that there's anything wrong with your B&W maps, but this is great.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks guys. My heart is Old School all the way. I find the black & white maps spark my imagination much more than any detailed map could. I guess I like filling in the details for myself. That and in my experience when I show a detailed map to my players, they get caught in the 'What You See Is What There Is' trap. But with that said, I do like to stretch my style now and then and work outside my comfort zone.

I've been reading through the various tutorials on this site and been soaking up all of the info that I can. All of the tutorials here are worth their weight in gold. I do plan on doing more detailed maps because I really want to try out a few new ideas that I've learned from the tutorials here.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

I thought I would do a Classical inspired temple once more as a way to get the creative juices flowing (my forced hiatus has put a bit of a damper on my creative energies). Nothing too complicated but it helped me to get back into the flow of things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temple007.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	9730
    Cheers,
    Tim

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Praise Beautiful work

Hello, Turgenev.

I wanted to let you know how much I've enjoyed reading through your thread and enjoying your work. You have created some beautiful temples and have opened my eyes to yet another area of interest.

I look forward to your renewed posting and excitedly await your next beautiful creation.

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Thanks for the kind words, Gary. They're much appreciated, especially coming from some as talented as yourself.

As for the temples, I can't take too much credit since I'm using actual historic locations for my inspiration. That is the wannabe Classicist in me speaking.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Nothing wrong with using existing images as inspiration, I did the same for my Sapphire Skull temple - mostly just for the basic shape of the building.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the rep, ravells. Doing these temple maps allow me to indulge two of my interests at once - cartography and Classical archaeology. Besides, this way allows me to use my old university texts books for something other than collecting dust.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Wip

Here's my latest temple I'm working on. This is a temple dedicated to a sea/ocean god. I'm still working on the textures. I'm not sure about the water. I still have a lot of work ahead of me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temple008-01.jpg 
Views:	1034 
Size:	431.1 KB 
ID:	9788
    Last edited by Turgenev; 01-31-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Fixed attached image
    Cheers,
    Tim

I think the water's fine, but you may need some shadowing along the walls, or something to give it a sense of depth (if that makes sense).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast