Thread: How to create region borders?

Post How to create region borders?

Hi everyone, I'm new here
    Thing is, I'm making a boardgame, and this site has been a tremendous help!

However, I can't seem to find any info on how to make area / region borders on an existing map?
    What kind of areas/regions? Well, similar to these:
    http://www.gamesetwatch.com/wow4bg.jpg
    http://www.gamesetwatch.com/wow2bg.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!
    I'm using GIMP and Inkscape.

Blog Entries

It would depend on what you have to begin with in order to extract the borders of. Presumably you have the borders as lines whether in inkscape as vectors or as pixel lines in Gimp. Do you want to upload an image of what you have ?

My guess tho is to use a magic wand type selection tool to find the outside of the shape and then expand the selection and then use a fill inside the selection.

Another option is to use an 'erode' type tool which takes a thin line and makes it thicker. If thats not an option then you can usually blur it and use contrast tools to darken the line and up the contrast which also makes it thicker.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

I agree with RedRobes, though it would help greatly to see what you already have.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

As stated, and assuming you have a map image you are starting with, the simplest would be to load your existing map image into Inkscape, then use the "Draw bezier curves" tool to draw and adjust the border lines as you wish.

-Rob A>