18. You may not vote on this poll
  • This sounds good

18 100.00%
  • Do not like this idea

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Versions of same map

Default Versions of same map

Something that came up when talking with another map maker was me doing a map of theirs, related to a project we will be working on.
    So I was thinking that could be cool - pick a map to use as a basis and everyone does their version of that map.
    The specifics could be worked out such as just what or how much of the original map must be retained but the style should be up to the competitors.
    I think this would produce some interesting results but it would have to be a map that enough people were capable of doing.
    So the base map couldn't be so complex as to turn away people from entering.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I had a similar conversation with a fellow map-maker. I think that's a great idea!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, I like this idea too.

This would, then, be an elaboration on the "make a map from this blob" challenge that happens fairly regularly? Where instead of just an outline, basic features such as rivers, town placement, and names would already be provided? Assuming an overland map, of course; it could also be an inn, town, or other such thing.

Yeah, I suppose it could be any sort of map really.
    What I had in my head was maybe a bit more specific so that the challenge was more specific I guess.
    Maybe I could find a map that would be an example of what I was thinking.

In my mind, the idea was to "redo" a map from another map maker in the way you feel you would have done it. For instance, some could pick a perspecive view of a city made by xxxxx and decide to go with a top down view, or decide to go on satellite type from a hand-drawn map etc...

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    In my mind, the idea was to "redo" a map from another map maker in the way you feel you would have done it. For instance, some could pick a perspecive view of a city made by xxxxx and decide to go with a top down view, or decide to go on satellite type from a hand-drawn map etc...
    That could work as well. It wasn't quite what I was thinking but could still prove to make a fun and interesting challenge.

In the end, it's just a suggestion and I'm happy with any of the CLs deciding to run it as they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    That could work as well. It wasn't quite what I was thinking but could still prove to make a fun and interesting challenge.

In the end, it's just a suggestion and I'm happy with any of the CLs deciding to run it as they see it.
    Maybe you had something in the idea of this in mind?

That looks like it was a fun challenge. How did I miss that? There were some good entries in there too.
    That sort of speaks to it but not quite.
    I'll try to throw something together to illustrate what I'm thinking.
    But that will have to be tonight as I have work I need to get done right now.

Great idea! The challenge you refer to Max was really great. However, if something similar is repeated, please make it so that it's easier for us traditional cartographer to partake. Because I for one would love to be in a challenge like that one

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast