Thread: Want opinions on generated coastline

Default Want opinions on generated coastline

For whatever reason, a while back I began writing a program that would take an LSystem specification and generate the corresponding graphic. I'm not done with it, but it can currently do alot. I took to wondering if I could find an LSystem specification that could generate coastlines for island or continents. Attached is the output of that spec - it can generate others if I give the random number generator a different seed. It is a variant of random midpoint displacement.

I was just wondering what people thought in terms of how "good" the shape is for representing a coastline.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	generated_coastline.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	77157

Banned User

The large scale shape is good. The small scale along the coastlines is too consistent. Coastlines are generally fractal and that means the shapes have to continue to match down to the smallest scale visible (or at least reasonable).

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    The large scale shape is good. The small scale along the coastlines is too consistent. Coastlines are generally fractal and that means the shapes have to continue to match down to the smallest scale visible (or at least reasonable).
    I get the part about it beinf fractal and all (in fact, LSystems are fractal. I ran this for 10 iterations). I not sure why you think this particular instance is too consistent in the small. I can generate even finer details by upping the iterations, but one has to stop somewhere.

Wondering if you could clarify.

Perhaps the issue is that my program generates SVG, and I just took a jpg screenshot. So, I ran the iterations to 12, and up'd the zoom level. Does this seem better "in the small scale"?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	generated_coastline2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	77158

Banned User

Yes, it does, much better. As a mathematician, fractal artist, and cartographer, I'd be very interested to know more of what you're doing. If you feel like sharing/discussing, please feel free to email me at yodercm@earthlink.net .

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

That's really neat! I have no idea what you've done, but congratulations on making it. It would be cool if you could somehow clear away the parts where the lines get really close together, in order to erase the lines that extend out into the water as little fingers, and to separate out some islands. I have no idea if that's a remotely possible thing, just my completely amateur response. The stuff I'm suggesting could also be done in post. It seems like a great tool you've created, nice work!

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    That's really neat! I have no idea what you've done, but congratulations on making it. It would be cool if you could somehow clear away the parts where the lines get really close together, in order to erase the lines that extend out into the water as little fingers, and to separate out some islands. I have no idea if that's a remotely possible thing, just my completely amateur response. The stuff I'm suggesting could also be done in post. It seems like a great tool you've created, nice work!

cheers,
    Meshon

Yes, I've thought of those things. The cross overs are an artifact that the LSystem I'm using isn't self=avoiding. As it is, they sort of look like island keys to me. But, yes, eventually I'd like to have it generate separate island structures.