Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November/December 2015 Challenge :*** "Commission" a Guilder ! ***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Post November/December 2015 Challenge :*** "Commission" a Guilder ! ***

Hey everyone,

So yea it's that time again ! Last year we ran the challenge "Commission a guilder!" and it was a fun and great one so time to get it back to it! Here's the specifics of this challenge :

You would like to make a map in some style but doesn't really nail it? You really love some guilder's work and want a map from him/her? You're interested in a fun collaboration challenge with one of your friend in the Guild? Let's do it!

This month is a kind of a teaming challenge. The idea is simple :

1. Make a team with another guild member
    2. Once the team is done, each member of the team have to write a very short briefing (a paragraph of 10 lines or so) and give it to your partner. This briefing must describe the map (and its elements and constraints) you would like your partner to do for you. Whatever you want as a map, its elements should be clearly mentioned in the briefing (colored map, black and white, style, level of details, specifics etc.). Since all contestants don't have the same skills, please consider your team mate and either offer him/her 2 or 3 differents briefings so he could pick the one he/she feels easier for him/her to do or be sure that theteam mate will be able to achieve his work during your discussions.
    3. When each member of the team gets the briefing, each one have to make a map according to it.

You can discuss with your team mate using the private message system to make sure he/she agrees to team with you and to forward your map briefing. During the WIP progress, you can react to your "commissioned" partner's work in his thread of course. Each member of the teams will post an individual entry and when comes the voting time, will be judged individually.
    The Challenge is a very open one, since the map theme/subject isn't as important as the idea of working from another guilder's briefing.

I'll update a specific thread with the teams, so please update this thread with team mates names when they're set! Thanks.

This is an exceptional 2 months challenge

As usual, please make sure to title your threads: November/December 2015 Challenge: <your title here>

Also, don't forget to precede each work in progress picture with the label: ### Latest WIP ### This way the thumbnail scraper can find your entry and all the voters will be able to see it at the end of the month. Each entry should also contain the team mate's name and the original map briefing text.

This challenge will end on or around the 3rd of January, after which there will be a 3-4 day voting period. The winner will receive this fabulous award for which everyone fights on the web : the Golden Compass! Icing on the cake, each entrant will also receive his/her commisioned work from his team mate !
    Last edited by - Max -; 11-04-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Oh, lovely. I was hoping to see this challenge again. The challenge last year saw so many amazing entries, let's hope we have the same yield this time around

Best of luck everyone!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

But, I still haven't finished mine from last year!
    Nontheless, i'll be participating in this year if I can find someone

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

Very interesting challenge, I would like to participate but I'm too newbie, Then if some other newbie are looking to participate and does not have a teammate, send a message to me, let's try this challenge.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

I'll jump on this if anyone is interested. In case it isn't already obvious, my strongest area is making mapping objects like furniture to battlemaps like buildings & dungeons up to and including City blocks or small towns. Not so good with City, Regional or World Maps or anything hand drawn.

Here is a link to my gallery here on CG if you are not familiar with my maps: http://www.cartographersguild.com/al...p?albumid=3407

So PM me if you want to.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

I'm open to this. It was fun last time. I think this is why I created that Valles Marineris map and got so familiar with Martian geography. Very educational.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xpian View Post
    I'm open to this. It was fun last time. I think this is why I created that Valles Marineris map and got so familiar with Martian geography. Very educational.
    Your one for me kicked my ass, I'll tell you that. Waaaay outside my comfort zone, as it turned out.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Your one for me kicked my ass, I'll tell you that. Waaaay outside my comfort zone, as it turned out.
    Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I know what it's like to get an assignment that is different from anything you've done before. I was running a DnD campaign at the time and wanted that map for a location I was sending the PCs to. I sent them anyway, and it worked out fine. :-)
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

Blog Entries

Looking forward to seeing what everyone can come up with!
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hi! Abu Lafia and I are teaming up. We were talking about possibly collaborating a bit more directly and he had a great idea. Two one-time partners, now rivals, each have part of a map to a fantastic treasure. Neither will work with the other anymore, but they each ask the other for a copy of the map half they are missing. Maybe one has the map of the dangerous forest where an old ruined castle is hidden, and the other has a map of the castle. So we will each be commissioning the other map. Of course, neither rival is keen to make things too easy for the other…

However this requires us to work out the general theme together before hand. Is that contrary to the idea of this challenge? We are kind of thinking to make a collaborative mapping project that would result in maps that could be used together. Let us know if you think this might be a problem, or what concerns there might be with this idea.

Thanks!
    Meshon
    Last edited by Meshon; 11-05-2015 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added hyphen for clarity.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast