Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

41 89.13%
  • no

5 10.87%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Design a map for print

Post Regarding layers, sometimes I cheat...

When I say, Xara isn't a memory hog, I have to clarify, that some effects placed in layers upon layers, does get memory intensive. Often I cheat, by taking the most memory hogging layers, and export that portion as a transparent PNG (multiple layers selected), delete the actual layers then import the converted layers to place on the map.

Its smart to keep the pieces as a separate file, in case you need to go back and make some changes. Cheating is often a part of the creation process to make things work more smoothly.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Given I am running 64 bit, do you have some links to the list or can show what I might have to look out for. I have been running 64 bit for about 2 years now and I have to say its been excellent though I don't stoop so low as to use MS Office. In the beginning it was sometimes difficult to get drivers for some stuff and that is still true for old/out of date hardware but all new stuff seems fine.
    The best thing I can recommend is just Google it. There is honestly so much information I wouldn't know where to begin. I believe the latest reports came from WindowsSecrets.com. From there you should find some others reports and of course look at TechNet and the MS Knowledge Base as there are some articles in there about compatibility and such.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Unlike Apple? I would have gotten a Mac, but it still ****es me off that they are so damn far behind on java AND you have to upgrade OS's to get the latest java version to work. AND have to pay extra money on top of all that for near equal hardware...
    Oh, don't get me wrong, they aren't much better in many areas, but at least their release dates tend to be more accurate than MS's.

On a related topic, I am enjoying the heck out of the warring ads from both companies especially having the intimate knowledge I do. Has anyone gone to the website referenced in the "Mohave" ads from MS? It just shows what a farce that whole marketing angle is especially if you have used the various versions of Vista at the technical level. Of course the Mac ads are just as entertaining considering all the problems the iPhone has been having and as jfrazierjr pointed out all the stuff they don't tell you regarding how much you are going to pay in the long run if you want to keep up.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Shipping to Canada from US is not expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Great Idea! And very supportive Game Printer.

I'm in Guelph Ontario - near Toronto. I'm curious about postage to my place - not like I'm planning to win or anything . More like I'd like to support your business.

Assuming something comes of this, anything we should do about size for the upload\download of these things? How bout a smaller view and a larger link (perhaps off site)? People could post WIP views but save site space for their final work?

Sigurd
    I've shipped maps to Canada via US Mail and UPS, both relatively inexpensive, in the $10 USD range. I ship maps in a mailing tube. I've got regular clients in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnepeg.

Just so you know, I charge $2.99 per square foot for color printing, thus a 24 x 36 map is priced at $17.94 per map. ($4.50 more for lamination.)

Regarding uploading files, I can create a temporary FTP directory allowing you to FTP upload, give you a temp password. Or you can find any of several sites dedicated to temporary upload and storage of files for online access. Both ways work fine.

For the challenge, if there is one using this, I'd say upload a lower res version for posting and voting, or an extremely compact JPG version at 300 dpi. Be sure to have the ability to export at the preferred resolution and dimensions for the map, if you win.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-21-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Next question...

Whichever challenge idea gets to be for this month - as in BryGuy's suggested Space Map - is it still possible to create a map for print, as in this suggestion?

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Hehe, you'll be finding out more very shortly.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

I really dont think my comp could handle this, but it's a great idea!
    I may try something like this once I get better at digital mapping, just to have you print something for me, though it'll be a year or more from now if I do.

I'm completely fond of the idea, but I hope your FTP is quick, a 10800 x 7200 px file at 300 dpi with only a layer of clouds in it weights 258 Mo... Thought it would be large but not THAT large ;-)
    Back to business

Blog Entries

24x36 @ 300 dpi is 222Mb uncompressed. So it ought to be smaller than that as a file to send to print. Also, if it gets a silly size then draw one in vector format and send as a PDF which would be a lot smaller.

Even so, 200Mb is large but its still within FTP ability. At 32K byte per sec upload that's about 2hrs. Ok you can forget it with a dialup modem tho.

Post Even though I suggested 300 dpi...

Even though I suggested 300 dpi for the map resolution. It really depends on how small your smallest text and or lineart objects are, as you could get away with and quite successfully staying at 200 dpi or even 150 dpi. It really depends on your map and what's on it.

Another thing mentioned earlier in this thread. Once you've got your layers placed on the map - flatten the image or export portions of your map as individual PNG/JPG/TIF files then composite the whole thing.

A flattened, layered map should be significantly smaller than 200 MB.

I deal with lots of maps at 300 dpi/24 x 36 that is less than 100 MB - it depends on how you save it, flatten, etc. Seriously consider a compressed JPG file as your final map for lowest, but still high quality, resolution.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

The last big map I did was ~300 dpi, ~ 3000px x 3000px. My computer was not happy with it. While I love the idea, I feel like only people with the computer power to handle it would be able to really compete.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast