Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Germany

Info Greetings from Germany

Hello cartographers,
    as you can see, I'm new to this board and I truly am amazed to see so much useful stuff on just one site. I'm a 32 year old male from Germany and I'm an avid gamer since my early youth. I was eight when my mother got me the red box (D&D) and I never stopped playing since then. Naturally, as a DM, I had to come up with maps for my adventures and the worlds I built. What once began as pencil drawings on graph paper finally led me to digital mapping as I discovered the GIMP (and Inkscape) early this year.
    By trial and error I created maps I was quite pleased with as an amateur. Only after discovering this site I learned, what really can be done with the GIMP! There are many, many great tutorials on here and I'm soooo pleased to have found a site with such invaluable knowledge on map-making.
    As I'm still new to GIMP and having only scratched the surface of what really can be done with the prog, please don't expect useful advice from me; at least not now! I guess my skills will grow rapidly when working through the awesome tutorials.

My recent maps pale in comparsion to the awesome stuff here, but I'll post a sample of my latest maps anyway!

This is Ganiordaes, a nation from my homebrew.

This is Truvanesh, a mining-town.

And this is Glazuria, one of the mayor cities of Ganiordaes.
    I have done several other maps, but they are similar in style and quality.

I usually draw my maps by hand, scan them and then overwork them using the GIMP. The maps look flat as I haven't figured out how to do shades and decent textures. I guess this will change in the near future!

All of the maps are for my homebrew setting Angraenor, that me and my gaming group are developing since 2004. Infos on the setting can be found at the Angraenor-Wiki. It's all in german though... A world map can be found on the starting page too.

As you already know, english isn't my first language, so please forgive any mistakes in phrasing you'll discover in my posts. I'm trying to improve, though...
    Last edited by Absinth; 10-20-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Welcome to the Guild, and....

Behold my Mighty +5 Axiomatic Flame Burst Cudgel of Repping!

P.S. I really like you maps. Very visually evocative.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the kind words, NeonKnight! Well, I hope the maps will improve after I took a sip from the fountains of wisdom I found here!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

If yo're just beginning with GIMP, can't wait to see what you come up with when you consider yourself "good" with it.

I dub thee newly repped with my +2 Glowing Metallic Skull Shaped Cudgel of Repping *bonk*
    (Not as good as Neon's but just as fun to use )
    Last edited by Steel General; 10-20-2008 at 03:23 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Truly Amazing and Colorful your maps are, says Yoda.

Thanks again for the praise and reps, folks! I put some more maps in an album that can be found on my profile page. It's nice to be welcomed so warmly and I hope to become a helpful member of this awesome community.

I very much like your maps Absinth and I repped you for them. They are very well done and you have a nice, clean style. I especially like the first map (the forest areas rock!). Keep up the good work!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer

They are nice and clear, looking forward to seeign your work once you ahve played with the tutorials

Blog Entries

Yup, very nice so more rep coming your way.

Good job for your first try Absinth. Gimp can be kind of annoying to try to learn, but you did pretty darn well.

Is there anything you would like to try to learn to style wise to make these maps any better? Or will you try some new GIMP techniques on new maps you make? One thing I would highly suggest is to learn how layer masks work asap, as well as when to use them.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast