Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Map of Venthir and Tzallrach

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default A Map of Venthir and Tzallrach

Here's the web-version of the finished Venthir and Tzallrach map I was working on here. After much deliberation I Settled on a different style for the mountains that what I had been thinking of. I'm happy with these though would still like to try and perfect the hatchure style as that's what I want to use on my atlas.

This coloured contour style is probably a tad too modern for the world (especially the date depicted on the map) though I like it. You might notice the lack of proper contour colours (no greens for instance). I'm not sure I want to add those as they might make it look too modern.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venthir char mathi - web.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	4.86 MB 
ID:	77435

More details on the region can be found on my blog at www.vorropohaiah.blogger.com.mt and my patreon at www.patreon.com/elyden

EDIT: I noticed there were some fragments around some of the mountain text so removed it and added a n elevation key to the cartouche to give an idea of the heights. I also want to add spot heights to the peak icons (white triangles) to show how high that point is, though that can wait!
    Please let me know what you think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venthir char mathi - web.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	77417  
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 11-16-2015 at 05:52 AM.

This looks incredible just as it is.
    I wouldn't add green.
    The underlined text seems odd.
    Is there a precedent for that in some older maps? or that just something you came up with?
    It looks fine with Nations and Capitals but it seems odd for the Natural Features.
    Still, that's just a minor nitpick for a wonderfully done map. Excellent work.

Something you might consider changing is some of your names of places. You have all these names that are clearly not english and then you have such and such desert or such and such sea...

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    The underlined text seems odd.
    Is there a precedent for that in some older maps? or that just something you came up with?
    I'd like to say yes, though to be honest, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Durakken View Post
    Something you might consider changing is some of your names of places. You have all these names that are clearly not english and then you have such and such desert or such and such sea...
    That' one thing that has bothered me for some time to be honest. I think of it as something like this: an english language map of a foresign country. Most Proper place name wouldn't be translated, thoug a few places are named after things that are translateable - Goblin Hill or merchant road. Does that make sense?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The wait is always worth it for your maps, vorro. Damn I love this one.

Amazing work! This is wonderful. Awesome style, I love it!

Blog Entries

Excellent artwork!!!
    Everything is so realistic!

Don't mind about the contours, they are very nice.

By the way, a finicky one could only try to find out some tiny imperfections...
    ... and I noticed a map symbol (small brownish squared point) not explained in the legend.

This is awesome, Vorro. I think the style you picked for the mountains works pretty well.

I'm attaching a map with an alternative style for mountains. Although I haven't yet worked out a proper way to recreate it, I've been playing with it and thought I could suggest. Still, is this a WIP or a finished piece? It looks so much like a finished piece!

Name:	1898_Lagos_Nigeria_map_byJohnston_BostonPublicLibrary_m0612007.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	77427
    This is a map dating from 1898, so I reckon it's more or less the era you're aiming for.
    Last edited by Pixie; 11-15-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: duh!, forgot to add the image

Really nice work, have some reps. I agree with J.Edwards on the underlined text, not needed. Also the legend seems a little cramped. Love the color as is.

Quote Originally Posted by AzurePlanet View Post
    Excellent artwork!!!
    By the way, a finicky one could only try to find out some tiny imperfections...
    ... and I noticed a map symbol (small brownish squared point) not explained in the legend.
    thanks, can you point it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I'm attaching a map with an alternative style for mountains. Although I haven't yet worked out a proper way to recreate it, I've been playing with it and thought I could suggest. Still, is this a WIP or a finished piece? It looks so much like a finished piece!

Name:	1898_Lagos_Nigeria_map_byJohnston_BostonPublicLibrary_m0612007.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	77427
    This is a map dating from 1898, so I reckon it's more or less the era you're aiming for.
    that's nice and quite close to what i was thinking of, though I'd need some time to come up with a brush that replicated that effect convincingly.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    I agree with J.Edwards on the underlined text, not needed. Also the legend seems a little cramped. Love the color as is.
    Given that the consensus is to remove the underlines i think i'll go that way, though i might change the font to make it stand out more to make it more recognizable against the other text.

NOTE: I have added an updated map, with some fragments around the text removed and with a key to the contours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast