Thread: CD3 constantly crashing!

Post CD3 constantly crashing!

I have been a big user of Campaign Cartographer since the days of CC1(DOS), and CC2 was a big improvement. CD2 was my favorite add on.

Now I have CC3 with DD3 and CD3, but the thing is constantly crashing on me. I keep hearing that it is a memory problem. I have 2 Gig of mem on my computer, and a 2.6 Ghz dual core pentium on an ASUS MB.

How much memory should you have to run CD3? I do Photoshop on this computer and it has never crashed. Why does CD3 have such a nasty footprint?

Blog Entries

When it crashes, what does it say. Theres usually a box that comes up with some codes in it. If you get another can you screen dump that. Also, if people think that its memory then try doing a memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) on your ram just to ensure that its ok. Sometimes you might have a bit of ram dodgy or the clock rates can cause incorrect memory accesses.

Are you doing bigger maps and lots of objects Landorl?

I have CC3 with DD3 and CD3 as well and when creating bigger city maps with hundreds if not thousands of objects somewhere along the way it will keep crashing on me when I click around (or try to save it as a BMP for example). It's why I was forced to make printscreens of parts of the map and then paste them together in Paint Shop.

Smaller maps give me no problem at all. I have almost the same computer configuration as you (2GB of RAM, but my processor is slightly slower I think).

Oh, and to clarify, these bigger maps I am talking about are maps I work 10 - 20 hours on. I kinda saw the crash bug as a technical limitation of my computer.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 10-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I was trying to get it to repeat this morning so that I could get the error message, but wouldn't you know that today is the day that it decides not to crash

I guess I should count my blessing and keep working!

Hi all,
    First post and it's unfortunate it has to be negative one. I've been using CB3 to recreate the city of Fallujah for a college project and while it is quite a large project, CD3 crashes frequently and slows down as soon as the building layer is visible (there are about 1000 buildings rendered). I've also got 2GB ram with a processor getting on for 5 years old. Despite that I do find the programme while very good, not exactly intuitive.
    John

Welcome to the Guild John Anderson.

I have repped you to remove your BLUE PIP OF SHAME that all newbies have.

Welcome!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

CD3 is relatively new, and while our betatesters didn't get these kind of problems, it's always possible there are bugs. As always, if you can send a file, or use and existing file and tell us how to reproduce the bug, it becomes much easier to fix.
    ProFantasy Software Ltd

From my perspective, the only issue comes when trying to have the whole city on show. The PC slows to a crawl, but that is really an issue with asking my poor processor to deal with a lot of information. Ive not had any other issues apart from the steep learning curve.
    John

Guild Apprentice

Incidently can anyone tell me which CC3 file is resposinsible for this behaviour.
    Both the zoom out icon and the pull down menu zoom out by 2 both generate the following reponse;
    This layer is not defined on this map type with one of the CD layers Bldng Criminal, clicking on this brings up the next one Bldgn Custom 1 and so forth but only Bldgn layers. It may also be related to a problem with the symbol catalogues having become "seperated" from their buttons.
    Happiness is knowing your mapping software won't crash partway through an operation.

Ok I have gotten it to happen a couple of more times. It always happens when I have several houses on there, and I am adding more (Using the house tool, and not the symbols). After I have several and I am adding more, and I do something unusual like click the wrong mouse button, or click off of the map, or click on the zoom two times, then it freaks and crashes. I think it is trying to redraw or to generate an error message when it goes.

I don't know if it is useful, but I have the information from the "crash" report that it sends to Microsoft.