Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November/December 2015 Challenge: A Lack of Cooperation

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

There's plenty out there that have no markings, just grayscale. I guess 'topo map' isn't the correct term for them; they're satellite images.

Off to a good start. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I decided to take this in a different direction. There's a couple of reasons for that, the most important being that I don't have the time to do the original concept justice and so will finish it at a later date (maybe); and also this new idea is more to the spirit of what Bogie actually requested. This is a small section of a larger map that I sketched up a couple of days ago; once the challenge ends, I want to complete the whole big thing, but for now I'll just concentrate on the relevant area.

This new version shows two competing cultures at odds with each other. The dwarven inhabitants of Gondurin control a realm of vast mineral riches, while the humans and qul (think insect-like humanoids) of the Plains Confederacy share a land known as 'the world's breadbasket' which is also a major crossroads of trade. The dwarves would love to have access to those trade routes, since their southern borders face the mighty Sascan Empire and its puppets, whose tariffs make overland trade in that direction vastly unprofitable. The Confederacy, in turn, would love to get their hands on a dependable source of steel to help better arm their armies against the plains barbarians of the north.

Unfortunately, the two nations cannot agree on precisely where their borders should be. Gondurin claims it 'naturally' has a right to the large Gardanna River Valley in the west, while the Confederacy thinks its claims to the northern reaches of Gondurin's mountain ranges are a natural extension of its sphere of influence. If these two nations could only find a way to co-exist peacefully, they would be a powerful alliance, one to be reckoned with. But unfortunately, they just can't seem to avoid a border skirmish every year or two and a major conflict just about every decade... which is just the way Sasca likes it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOC1a.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	847.2 KB 
ID:	78057  

That's quite a change, looks like it will be a good one!

A little bit more accomplished.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LOC2a.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	78066  

That's a fine looking map you have going there, with intriguing backstory. What type are you using in the map (I like it)?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

It's looking great Diamond! I love the texturing and the original tint.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Wow, excellent work so far Diamond! The new version looks really good. I agree with Chashio, about the very nice background story. I can totally imagine the evil grin of the sascan emperor, being "the laughing third"
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

I can't wait to see the finished version of your original idea, Diamond, but I also love this one. The labels could do with standing out a bit more, but I like your choice of colours the pink diagonal stripes marking the Confederacy. Will you be showing contested borders, too? I think that would go a long way towards helping you meet the challenge and showing the constant disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    That's a fine looking map you have going there, with intriguing backstory. What type are you using in the map (I like it)?
    The fonts are:
    -nation names: Tempus Sans ITC
    -cities/rivers: Calligra Serif
    -seas/natural features: TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by soggymuse View Post
    I can't wait to see the finished version of your original idea, Diamond, but I also love this one. The labels could do with standing out a bit more, but I like your choice of colours the pink diagonal stripes marking the Confederacy. Will you be showing contested borders, too? I think that would go a long way towards helping you meet the challenge and showing the constant disagreement.
    Yep, contested borders will be shown, that's why I started with the diagonal stripes thingy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast