Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Venus (Mutant Chronicles)

Default WIP - Venus (Mutant Chronicles)

Hi folks! Long time no see!

I've been quite busy with maps. Still working on some commissions for Mutant Chronicles, along with some other games. Here is an early venus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	venus.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	77504
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Why wouldn't you just use a Venus height map and fill in the low regions with water and then figure everything from there? Or do they want something else and just randomly named it Venus for no reason?

Blog Entries

Durakken to each there own ...

i few years back i reworked the Venus Magellan radar data
    reduced down the full res data to a massive 131072 x 65536 reflectance and a 65536x32768 height topographic map

the first thing that sticks out is the polar ice !
    ( i might not be a "river police" ?? maybe BUT i am a polar ice one )

It looks like this map is 75.3 north to 75.3 south Mercator ( approx.1220x791)
    with some non mapping "ice" added at the poles

remapped 90 north to 0 north polar-stereographic ( from Mercator )
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 11-19-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by Durakken View Post
    Why wouldn't you just use a Venus height map and fill in the low regions with water and then figure everything from there? Or do they want something else and just randomly named it Venus for no reason?
    I have to admit, I didn't thought about that. And I can totally understand - it's a random map with the name Venus.
    But, I have worked out the map from a text with descriptions about the archipelago, the crater, the Mountains, the three climate zones, so according to the text, it's accurate, but according to venus, it's not. I shall look into this and see if I can move the forest and the Mountains around, and eventually redraw the coastline making it look more like real venus.
    "That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic." /Diamond

Ah, Venus! One of those worlds where you don't have to worry much about plate tectonics.

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    Durakken to each there own ...

i few years back i reworked the Venus Magellan radar data
    reduced down the full res data to a massive 131072 x 65536 reflectance and a 65536x32768 height topographic map

the first thing that sticks out is the polar ice !
    ( i might not be a "river police" ?? maybe BUT i am a polar ice one )

It looks like this map is 75.3 north to 75.3 south Mercator ( approx.1220x791)
    with some non mapping "ice" added at the poles

remapped 90 north to 0 north polar-stereographic ( from Mercator )
    Awesome, now in English? (Or Swedish preferably!) I'm not a Tech-mapper and I don't know if what you are writing is positive or negative! but please explain, I'm open for all kind of feedback!

I don't know anything about tectonics so can't comment on that (though I feel fairly confident that Venus doesn't have forests and greenery!!)

Just wanted to say that this is looking really nice and you're off to a great start. I *love* those cliffs to the left. I'll be watching with interest as you develop this.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I once started something similar, if you want to see what it might look like just by filling in a height map. Johnvanvliet has a great heightmap. I know, because I used it.
    Last edited by acrosome; 11-20-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Ah, Venus! One of those worlds where you don't have to worry much about plate tectonics.
    kinda...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banner.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	77507

Quote Originally Posted by acrsome View Post
    I once started something similar, if you want to see what's possible just by filling in a height map.
    That's pretty neat, but I would need a Venus map with more land and less water!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I don't know anything about tectonics so can't comment on that (though I feel fairly confident that Venus doesn't have forests and greenery!!)
    Just wanted to say that this is looking really nice and you're off to a great start. I *love* those cliffs to the left. I'll be watching with interest as you develop this.
    Heh, yeah, dark future, it's terraformed and all that, so it has lush jungles and really cold arctic poles. Thanks for the nice comment!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast