Thread: Mausoleum to Thassilonian Ruin

Map Mausoleum to Thassilonian Ruin

This is a map I was working on for a pathfinder game I am running. I plan to print it out for the upcoming session. For some context: if you have played Rise of the Runelords, this particular bit is set in Sandpoint. Though it isn't related to the AP, it could be incorporated quite easily. The mausoleum can belong to a noble family that worships Sarenrae. The PCs are called as several skeletons have risen and are attacking anyone that enter. An item was stolen from the mausoleum by a necromancer. He used minions to tunnel up from below. It so happens that he breached a sarcophagus first and used it to hide his tunnel. The tunnel leads to part of a Thassilonian ruin that was one part of the larger complex of the Old Light. This portion currently sits under Mill Pond and is partially collapsed and flooded (Water is knee deep). There is a small inner sanctum that the necromancer has been using as a base of operations. The hallway leading south is meant to continue a long way; which is why there aren't any walls there. Eventually it collapses but another breach in the wall connects that adjoining tunnel to the smugglers tunnel below Sandpoint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mausoleum_Ruin.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	894.2 KB 
ID:	77510

Nice work JDCt

Very nice. Loving the obscured and faded Sihedron...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Nice Map.. Simple clean and crisp...Not overly crowded.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Great map. I love the walls, and like jpstod said the overall clean and crisp aesthetic. The water effect over the tiles is very successful. Very minor nitpicks (only because its such a great map overall): I wonder if the yellow from your lightsources has a bit too much green in it? And the dark grey texture in the lower left looks a little blurred to my eyes. Excellent map on the whole - great job.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 12-17-2015 at 05:20 AM.

Thank you all for the comments! I struggled with the water for a while; it just looked like blue tile before, but once I added the ripple effect to distort the tiles, everything sort of came together a lot more convincingly.

Jacktannery: I see what you are saying about the light sources having a green tinge to them. I think that was from having an initial 'cool' blue colour covering the map. I wasn't sure what I wanted when I started and I wanted to make sure the darker, unlit, areas felt dark and cold. The mix of the yellow and blue are likely responsible for that one. As for the grey texture, I believe I just quickly used a Photoshop pattern to fill the area. It may have been enlarged and that could have caused it to appear blurry. It wasn't the best, that's for sure. I appreciate the critique and will use that to improve for the next time around.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

This is really great JDCt, its very crisp and clean. Would love to see where that flooded tunnel goes off to