Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New map in process

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The grass is a little to yellow for my tastes, but other than that it's coming along nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm not too happy with the background at all right now. Once I get the city mapped, I will go back and redo the land and water to get a little better look (at least I hope it looks better)

Well, I haven't done an update in a couple of weeks. I was working pretty well on this, and then got knocked flat by the flu. I'm over it and back to work.

This is my latest update, and I am very happy with how it is coming together. I will still be redoing the waterways and a lot of the background, but for now it is doing better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canal city.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	17309  

Wip

More progress on the map. This city is huge! I have never mapped one this big before.

Views:	69 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	17687  

Looking pretty good so far. I like what you've got going on with the canals and harbors. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

I notice there are some transparentish land pixels in your waterways from when you erased them out (I'm assuming here). My experience with my city map has taught me that these can become a real PITA when you start texturing things. I solved it by going in and creating a mask (I used red) at full opacity and then saving that as a selection. Then you can invert it and delete the stuff you don't want and load the selection whenever you want to paint over that part of the landscape, even on a different layer. I have saved selections for land, trees, buildings, etc. Bit of a pain but it beats erasing stuff by hand later. Maybe you already have a technique for this but I thought I'd offer up what I had discovered.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    The grass is a little to yellow for my tastes, but other than that it's coming along nicely.
    You should come to Australia, we have entire states of yellow grass and not of the nice handy wheat variety...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    You should come to Australia, we have entire states of yellow grass and not of the nice handy wheat variety...
    You pay for the ticket and I'd be happy to come and visit and see the nice, yellow grass.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

More progress. I have all of the east and south of the "new city" complete. Now I just have the north bank to do. I cleaned up some of my canals. After I finish with the buildings, I will go in and try some different shading for the water and the land background.

I am hoping that by next week I will have this finished as this city is about to become a major part of a campaign that we are in.

Views:	64 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	17948  

Wip

Ok, I have all of the buildings in place now. The next step is to work on the background. I want to change the overall look of the background, so I will experiment with different colors and textures. Hopefully I will have some samples by the end of the weekend. I now have enough to use it for my game.

Views:	72 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	18151  

Yeah dude, I do agree with SG... the "snot green grass" isn't much to look at...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast