Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fully Rendered Buildings and Textures

Did you use select color range? That's what I used and I got it almost perfect. Season 4 of Doctor Who, just got the disk set.

Tutorial Select Test

In Photoshop use your Magic Wand tool. Set your tolerance to 75, then select contiguous. Left click within the colored area of the palm tree then Drag towards the bottom corner of the object that you are selecting. Do this a few times to insure that you have selected the entire palm tree! Copy the selected object on to the clipboard, then paste the object on a new layer.

Okay this should help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KaMonRa_Tree_Select_TEST.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	382.9 KB 
ID:	8076  
    Last edited by BlackLotus; 11-25-2008 at 02:04 AM.

Can I ask why you don't just post a palm tree with a transparent background? If you are doing it anyway, I don't quite understand why you don't make it easy on the members to use your stuff if you are offering it for their use.

I bought a palm tree model over the weekend that I'll be using so don't need the above, but thank you for the tips/techniques. I used the technique in my previous post and as you can see it didn't work very well for me. It could be the lower resolution of the image or something not sure.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Here is the palm tree copied on to a transparent layer. Sorry, I did know that this site supported Photoshop documents. Okay, the picture is somewhat messed up; however, if you are using Firefox you can open it directly into Photoshop itself. The picture itself will be intact if you do this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KaMonRa_Tree_Trans.psd  
    Last edited by BlackLotus; 11-25-2008 at 12:44 PM.

I discovered the problem! The JPEG files were all mangled into a lower resolution picture file. So now I'm uploading all picture files inside a zip folder. All the picture files will be in TGA format at full resolution. Use these files within the ZIP folder for your map elements.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I appreciate all the extra effort BL! Thanks!

I would recommend just using a PNG though and calling it done. File size is going to be lower and resolution should be the same since it is lossless. Not everyone is going to be able to handle a TGA, not to mention a TGA doesn't resolve the original problem which is the background that needs to be cropped out. Is your 3D application not able to export to a PNG or a format that supports alpha channel?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Sorry, I use a very old 3D Program called Imagine. The people who created Imagine at Impulse had recommended to render the image files in Targa format or TGA. Right now anyone can pickup a copy of Imagine at www.Imagine3D.org if anyone is interested. Right now 3D studio Max is too expensive for me to afford and I rather not use any pirated software.

Blog Entries

Wow is Imagine3D still going ? Amazing. I remember using that on the Amiga what... 20 years ago ! I hope its better now than it used to be. Used to crash continuously.

Red, sorry to says this but the company that produced Imagine went out of business about 5 years ago. The software is now Public Domain, free for anyone to grab. Although,it's rather old it is still a very powerful tool that should not ignored. The only thing wrong with it is that the toolset needs a complete over-haul to compete with today's software packages. The rendering engine itself is nearly flawless. Version 1.0 Imagine on the Amiga had alot of bugs, which have been all corrected in the most recent updates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12