Thread: Seeking Sources for Old-School Drafting Acetates

Post Seeking Sources for Old-School Drafting Acetates

One of the things I like to use heavily in mapping is the tools and techniques common in 1980s RPG graphic production, and in particular FORMATT-style drafting acetates. I have several sheets of these I rescued from a sellout sale at a drafting supply shop in Austin, but I haven't seen any others since, and it's a topic too old for the World Wide Web to have ever taken much notice.

So, on the hope (assumption) that I can't be the only one here grooving on 80's style RPG mapping: anyone else know of any good sources for old drafting acetate patterns?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm not familiar with this specifically. How are these different from standard OHP acetates?

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I'm not familiar with this specifically. How are these different from standard OHP acetates?
    Physically, they're almost identical to modern pattern sheets sold for (for example) manga artists, and not especially distant from an OHP sheet apart from thickness. But it's not the acetate itself I'm after; it's the drafting patterns on them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghalev View Post
    ...it's not the acetate itself I'm after; it's the drafting patterns on them.
    Can you give an example or two. We might know them under a different name in a different country. Then again it might be something that I have never seen.

Yes, Give us a good sample and maybe we have more?

If not - I appreciate the sample .

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Yes, Give us a good sample and maybe we have more?

If not - I appreciate the sample .
    Heh. Well, the patterns & symbols are nothing special apart from their historical role ... they're 90-99% identical to stuff you could find online with 5 minutes in Google, or stuff you could create yourself with a half hour in Photoshop or the Gimp. Just regular forest-patterns, scatterline patterns, swirly dot patterns, swamp fills, etc.

But they're hard to miss at a drafting shop that still happens to stock them. They're largish (the sheets themselves are a bit more than 11x17" I believe, mounted on white laminated cardstock with an extra inch or two to spare along both directions) and have to be stored very flat because they're a bit fragile once you separate the thin acetate from the backing. They tend to require a dedicated case of shelves or drawers to display.

Blog Entries

Hey Ghalev, The Good Doctor has posted a link to some transfers. I don't know if these were what you were looking for but try here:

http://www.letraset.com/manga/shopdi...+Single+Sheets