Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Zaephyr

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Oh, well that's a relief. I'll be very interested to see how future developments of this map come along.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the forests and lil hills...shrinking down the mountains might help them fit in better but you'd need more peaks n stuff. I like it, but I'm weird so take it for what it's worth
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Maybe I could add some snow to indicate peaks and such...?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Have a try and see what it looks like. I think the one thing you are guaranteed is that there will be people chipping in with opinions!

Well, I have been away from the general Internets for while now, working out real life problems, in effect not giving me much time for mapmaking at all. That coupled with my D&D group falling apart because of their RL requiring more attention pretty much destroyed my zeal for making Zaephyr.

But new times are afoot! Sun, summer, and loads of free time! I hereby present the newly made first mountainrange of New Zaephyr!

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

By the way, the sea and landmass are currently undecided regarding colour and texture. I kind of want them to fit well with the mountains.

edit: The scale of this part of the map is about 3000 miles across from top to bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewZaephyrMountains.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	14008  
    Last edited by Weero; 06-08-2009 at 02:30 AM.

Well, here's the entire world of Zaephyr, with some more mountain ranges in the making (still haven't gone to work on all the mountain layers to make them stand out more). The land and sea are still undecided on colour and texture, though I'm trying out one for the land now, though it still seems too..."cheery"?
    I still haven't gotten as far as to decide where the different climates go either...

Oh, and if anyone wonders how I made those mountains, I used a mix of the technique from this thread (with a bit of a personal tweak), and I used a seamless heightmap from this thread as a texture.

Name:	NewZaephyr.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	14014  
    Last edited by Weero; 06-08-2009 at 08:15 AM.

These mountains are forever to get down...and I still haven't begun on the other two continents! ¦3

Oh well, here's an update nonetheless.

Views:	68 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	14031  

Looks good so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Alright, another update!

I thought the main continent was a bit too big, so I decided to split it into two and have it sorta like the Suez Canal connecting the Mediterranean and the Indian ocean, only without the artificially made part. <.<

I'm trying out a texture for the oceans, but it doesn't seem to tile right at some places, and any attempt at making it a pattern in photoshop only makes it more blatantly obvious.

The mountains are slowly getting there, though I have toned a few areas a bit down.

I've also added the water texture I've used, in case anyone can turn it into something tileable.

Views:	293 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	14063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	richsea.png 
Views:	351 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	14064  

The first thing that comes to mind is that the ocean seems too detailed compared to the land right now...my eye keeps getting drawn to the ocean. That will persist until the land gets more work. Once the land is done then you can reassess your ocean so I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. If you do want to to tone it down some, for the time being, then I'd take out an airbrush and paint over the open spaces and leave the detail around the coast (on a new layer of course).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast