Thread: First Map: The Alait archipelago

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Wip First Map: The Alait archipelago

Okay, I'm not confident to try the world map yet but I've started working out the layout for the archipelago that's going to be the major setting for some fantasy stories I'm working on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alait.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	405.6 KB 
ID:	77727

Alait lies in the temperate latitudes off the east coast of a continent in the southern hemisphere of the (currently unnamed) world. It lies on an extension of the continental plate (similar to the Sunda shelf in our world but larger) and during the last glacial maximum was a single landmass and connected to the mainland (explaining why it has much of the same wildlife).

Scale-wise these islands are supposed to be very large, the large one being about 1000 miles long.

Obviously I've only roughed in the coastlines so far but I wanted to know if it looked okay so far before I did anything else. (I'm not intending the final map to be coloured but the green and blue are there to make it easy to distinguish sea from land).

Becka

Looks alright to me. maybe a little too sharp and straight at some points, but other than that it's ok. You probably make the background a little bigger so that they land doesn't touch the border of the image though.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Thanks. Yeah the coasines need some refining once I'm satisfied the basic shapes are ok.