Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first dungeon

Post My first dungeon

Ok the first map was massive in size but not alot of detail. The second is a dungeon I made and I tried not to over do it and wasn't finished by the time the players ran through the adventure, which was annoying cuz the side I put the most work on they didn't even go into...lol. But anyways tell me what you guys think...I'm still trying to make a map of a mage school for the next adventure I use maptools I've searched but nothing has caught my eye so if you know of one/have one please let me know, otherwise I maybe reduced to scanning in my D&D tiles

PS: if anyone has a good tutorial on this forum for using gimp to make dungeons let me know that's what I used for these 2 maps.

Guild Apprentice

Pretty nice, I can't seem to zoom in to get much detail, but it looks like the walls in the dungeon could use some shadows to stand out a little more.

Looks good, will definitely work for you.

You might consider going with a bigger or less pronounced background texture. The regular repetition distracts from the detail.

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by heathan666 View Post
    Ok the first map was massive in size but not alot of detail. The second is a dungeon I made and I tried not to over do it and wasn't finished by the time the players ran through the adventure, which was annoying cuz the side I put the most work on they didn't even go into...lol. But anyways tell me what you guys think...I'm still trying to make a map of a mage school for the next adventure I use maptools I've searched but nothing has caught my eye so if you know of one/have one please let me know, otherwise I maybe reduced to scanning in my D&D tiles

PS: if anyone has a good tutorial on this forum for using gimp to make dungeons let me know that's what I used for these 2 maps.
    Take a look at RobA's Dungeon script for GIMP I just created the following the other night after playing around with Rob's script and some textures I had rendered out with Genetica Viewer. I started with a base after the script was run, and then created several layers with layer masks to add the textures as the floors in each room.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Whoops, nvm this isn't my map, technically I cheated using the gimpscript you mentioned. however I'm still kinda new to using gimp I've been playin' around with it, and I'm workin' on makin' the school of magic for the adventure.....hower I'm not very good at manipulating the images....I'm more of a do-it-myself but can get frustrated easily...being left handed and trying to draw with a mouse is one pain in the arse (and no I can't use the mouse in my left hand, over the years I've adapted where my left hand is mainly for detailed work and has not yet figured out how to DO ITS JOB AND US THE DANG MOUSE!!!! /slamshammerintolefthand. SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO LEFT HAND!!! SEE!!) Whoops sorry about that.
    Anyways, hopefully I'll get to doin' this I have like a week to throw this map together (sadly my players finished off 3 map encounters last week, but we played for like 12 hours str8...they seemed to like the adventure). Well the dungeon part anyways.
    Last edited by heathan666; 10-22-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Guild Journeyer

Heathan, it may be worth starting a new thread for the mage school and describing exactly what you are after and what bits you can't find, I have to admit right now I am not really sure what you are looking for.

Well I would but I don't want to ask for a free map, it seems like some people make side money on here by makin' maps, and to me seems like a slap in the face to be like [Unpaid](Map-school of magic)-blahblahblah.
    I got to weeks to make one I guess I will post in the request forum, but I'll keep workin' on my own map to see if I can make it work.

Guild Journeyer

I was more suggesting you post in the Building / Structure forum, with a rough sketch of what you are thinking about, and a description of what is causing you problems, people here tend to be much more willing to come in and offer comments / advice if they see that the person asking is putting the effort in and improving themselves

@heathen666

It looks like the dungeon wall grid scale was not the same as the tile scale! (teasing a bit - I saw your ire in the other forum over your players complaint that the grid didn't line up)

It is hard to tell in the scaled down version you posted.

-Rob A>

no you are right for some reason when I use the tile, or attempt to paste the tile it's size is actually enlarged (by almost 300%). Which is irritating. I actually draw a general sketh on grid paper then paint over in a black and white then run the script...however it to does the same thing. I'm thinking that my best chance is to make same size tiles (like 10 inches by 10 inches), and "assemble them on the map". The reason I don't wanna do this is a) more work more files, b) they could come out funky. But regardless I'm just learning this stuff I've only been doin' it a week. I have made some decent maps using maptools before but I think gimp is alot better at what I'm trying to do, if I can get it to work propperly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast