Thread: Looking for help/suggestions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Looking for help/suggestions

Hi,

I'm still pretty inexperienced with regard to mapping, so first off I'd ask that any advice given is kept simple Secondly, I'm using CC3 so am limited to what it will do for me (although I know that's quite a lot!).

I want to create a world map, in the black and white style that came out with the Campaign cartographer annual a while ago. It's a long term project for me to play about with, but I'm finding it quite hard to get going with it.

I'm going to be drawing it on a square map. What sort of dimensions should I be using for a slightly smaller than earth size world when choosing the settings. Is 7000 x 5000 reasonable? I'm not too fussy about mercator projection and continent scale relating to where it is on a globe, I just want a square world map that looks believable for some fantasy game playing to allow me to create some lore around the setting where the games will be.

Ultimately I'd like to produce something along the lines of Ystraad, http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2796, but with a couple more continents and small islands/archipelagos. I do realise that as my level of experience I'm not going to get to anything quite this artistic, but this is the idea I am chasing.

Another difficulty I am encountering with CC3 is saving at a high resolution for a map this size. Ideally I'd like to be able to zoom right in on an area and have the clarity remain high, but when i save big maps (this kind of size) the files are always small and lose detail quickly as you zoom in. Anyone know how i can do this? From what i've read here I would expect a finished map of this size to take up about 20mb but I'm not able to save at this detail, through my own lack of familiarity with CC3. Anyone know how I can overcome this?

Any and all advice is appreciated, and thanks for taking the time
    Last edited by Leondegrance; 10-24-2008 at 09:06 AM.