Thread: Greetings and Hallucinations,,,,

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ridgecrest, CA...in the beautiful Mojave Desert.

Post Greetings and Hallucinations,,,,

Howdy all!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but what the heck. I hail from California and I got turned-on to CG by some friends at Conquer Club. See, I've had a wild hair to do a CC map, but after some experimenting (with MSPaint, ewww) and banging my head against the kb over GIMP, I was about to give up the whole affair till someone told me about the tutorials posted here. That has made a world of difference!

Thanks to RobA & Karro, whose tuts were phenomenally helpful, the deep mysteries of layering, detailing and fine-tuning in GIMP have been replaced with a solid working knowledge that has re-newed my enthusiasim for creating a game map for CC. Now, I may not be producing an awe-inspiring map any time soon, but I don't think I'll have any trouble coming up with something I can be proud of.

Which leads to this, my first multi-layered map. It may be a bit crude by some standards, but I'm as happy as a fly on sh*t with it myself, 'specially because it only took a couple of afternoons to whup up. I hope to get some honest crtiques, but be kind: I've only been working with GIMP for about 2 weeks.

This is supposed to be an island with an extinct/dormant volcano. The central cone is surrounded by ancient lava flows fanning out to the lowlands, and the coastline is banded by beaches. Waddya think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my_first.bmp 
Views:	25 
Size:	689.1 KB 
ID:	7353