Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP-My Second Map the Arcane School

Blog Entries

Very nice floor. This is going to look great though I think it will be tough to fill it all up.

If you look here :-
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2462

at post #31 there is the 1st floor to my pub and there is a nice bench of magi kit which you can steal. Its also in my Feb Challenge entry which might be higher res I don't know.

thank you I like that, I'm thinking of doing a similar thing with the second floor, leaving an open space so I can have the bad guys be able to attack the players when they go to the center. How did you make the effect if you don't mind me asking, was it just a jpg image set below the layer and then blured????

Guild Journeyer

I think you have got carried away with the floor patterning, I would keep it in the 'entrance rooms' (basically everything north of the corridors) then leave the rest of the floors the basic colour, relying on rugs etc to add the variation. (I can see a long carpet type rug down the centre of the corridors for example)

I also assume there is an entrance into the central building somewhere?

I haven't decided if there will be a secret entrance on the 2nd level or not. I also kinda felt that way about the patern, but then again, the pattern as you said will mostly be covered by long rugs, tables, benches etc; which was my justification for going ahead and coloring it the way I did. This way if I leaved an area uncovered it will still match.

ok I have a banner that I plan on using however, I need to scale it down. Is there anyway to scale it down without losing majority of the detail??? I'm using gimp btw.

OK so I'm almost done with the 1st floor, I just need to add in some lights on the walls, I'll probably do that in maptools. Next is the 2nd floor of the map and I will fill in the tower in the center on all three maps last.

Uberleet

PS: I did get lazy on the last table plz forgive me, I'll fix it before I put the finishing touches on. Btw is there another site to use to post the maps because this is not cuttin' it. Its not fullsized :0(.
    Last edited by heathan666; 10-28-2008 at 12:44 AM.

Guild Journeyer

I like the main rug in the entrance way, not so keen on the ones in the wallways as they seem to stand out too much and draw the eye, I would be tempted to just try a solid pastel blue rug (maybe with minor cream patterning?)

Also depending on the locality and frequency of visitors, is ti worth putting in some sort of receptionists desk?

Actually no point. The school grounds are looked by a magic spell, so unless someone hops the fence they aren't getting in very easily. Only Alumni and students are allowed in for the most part.

As for the rugs I think you are right I should darken them. To make them match up better. I was thinking the same thing.

Guild Apprentice

I think as long as you darken the rugs you should be okay, I've got a few carpet images as well that I'll send you along with all my bookcase stuff.

ok well I'm on the 2nd floor I've changed the rug and notice there are a few things I also need to fix. The "courtyard" entry is supposed to have 2 statues in them. If anyone has some statues that would fit this map let me know. Remember its a school of magic, so either some sort of D&D type magic monster (unaligned or good prefered) or a spell caster. But overall I am pleased with the image itself. BTW I made 5 or 6 different bookshelfs using your set up, very nice. It was pretty easy once I figured out how they where assembled. And I like the simplistic design of the books, makes it very easy to just bucket a color in there to add variety.

The 2nd floor is nearly done, I just need to paint the tiles and add some stuff to it, and then I will post it. I've come to realize that makin' the maps really isn't that difficult its really just a repeating pattern. I learned it from watching the script run as I was making my first dungeon, and then just tweaked it (adding layers for objects, object shadows, etc).

Now is there a better place to store images so that way I can post the full size shots, so you guys can see it better?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast