Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP-My Second Map the Arcane School

Post WIP-My Second Map the Arcane School

Ok So this time I didn't use the dungeon script (awesome script saves tons of time, but I wanted to give this a try), and decided for personal reasons as well as game reasons to do this "by hand."
    Basically all the images I had gotten off of RPGshare, dundjinni, maptools etc, and manipulated them using gimp. Right now this is the first level of the school. On the first level I plan on having the two large forward rooms as library and then there will be the long hallways that go to the back of the building. Not sure how to utilize these rooms. The 2nd level will be "class rooms". The center round area is actually the base of the tower for the "head master." I'm gonna post a direct link to photobucket and image code. Tell me what you guys think and any links for books shelves, desks, or stuff to do with a wizard/sorcerers base would be awesome help. I plan on adding more of the color to the tiles and yes I know I need to put some tiles on the rounded steps, which I will do ASAP.

School of Magi

PS: how do you make/save your own pallete on Gimp???

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

ooooooo I like that ... very nicely done and i'm doubly impressed with the by hand instead of a script.... too cool!

Guild Journeyer

Looks nice, could you make the long corridors into some sort of gallery, say have paintings of former headmasters there?

There is a thread round here somewhere of somebody who was doing a library and there was quite a big discussion about bookshelves there, so I would hunt for that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, the color-scheme is very pleasing on the eye.

Looking forward to see where this goes.

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks good, only thing I ask is if there is going to be some decorations? By that I mean things like the paintings mentioned above or a dais or tables and such? Nice job so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jkaen View Post
    There is a thread round here somewhere of somebody who was doing a library and there was quite a big discussion about bookshelves there, so I would hunt for that.
    I don't know if it's the one you're referencing, but I was doing a library and was working with bookshelves recently.

I think I posted most of my bookshelf images separately if anyone wants them... if there's one in a library image that isn't posted separately and you want it, let me know and I can probably send it to you.

Well I didn't actually do it by hand it was a lot of copy and pasting and cuting involved. So don't give me to much credit. I'm thinking of adding something to just cover the steps so they don't stick out so much but I'm not sure what. I did paint the color in there though. I'm thinking of making a banner, "carpet" to lay over the stairs with white and the greyish blue I used for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    This looks good, only thing I ask is if there is going to be some decorations? By that I mean things like the paintings mentioned above or a dais or tables and such? Nice job so far.
    Yes I am going to add stuff, actually I like the head master painting things I think I will go with that. Also the court yard I planned on having a lil stream running through it, I need to place some stairs to the second floor somewheres.

Quote Originally Posted by xv43 View Post
    I don't know if it's the one you're referencing, but I was doing a library and was working with bookshelves recently.

I think I posted most of my bookshelf images separately if anyone wants them... if there's one in a library image that isn't posted separately and you want it, let me know and I can probably send it to you.
    I'd love that, you can email them to me at twelvedrunkenmonkeyz@yahoo.com.
    Last edited by heathan666; 10-26-2008 at 09:59 AM.

ok tile is done...I think I went a lil overboard, but I like it...lol. I plan on covering up alot of the stuff though with rugs and blah blah blah, so, tell me what you think.

Nice Start, but what's the scale? Based on the steps and the tiles, I would say the hallways would be around 8-10 foot wide. One possibility is to wall off the hallways to make dormitories(very small... if 10 foot hallways, perhaps 10 x 5 rooms with bunkbeds and that leaves 5 foot hallways). However, given that scale, your libraries might be a tad small (perhaps on purpose???) unless they span multiple levels with no ceiling.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

actually the hallways are 10 feet, and a library isn't really a large space, in proper midevil terms. But yes, as for a fantasy game, I probably will have another library on the second floor. The room is about 30 by 15 feet for the two rooms that make up the library, so that's actually a pretty good amount of books. The school isn't extremely large either, its not self-sustaining. They do require services from the near by village.
    As for the dormitories, they are actually going to be a seperate building currently I'm just making the buildings then I will make the school grounds. The 2nd floor will be where the class rooms and dining area will be. I'm thinking of making the dining area the central mass for the 2nd floor and some way to reach the "roof" of the 2nd floor which will allow people to gain access to the tower. (minus the area for the tower.
    However I could double the size of the map and adjust the grid size as well. I've made a list of things the 2nd floor will have.

dining area
    alchemy lab/class
    enchanting lab/class
    mundane arts class (math, reading, writing, etc)
    study room (a place to study and practice the arts)
    ritual class (a class for ritual magic)
    worship area (to the god of magic).
    Last edited by heathan666; 10-26-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast