Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilvarel Valley

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Map Tilvarel Valley

I got inspired to try a new style after seeing a gorgeous map illustration by Chris Riddell for Neil Gaiman's The Sleeper and the Spindle.
    His is one of those maps that you can get completely lost in. You let your eyes wander across the page, find little hidden details, and your mind starts making up stories. More than just the technical aspect of the style, this dreamy quality is what I was aiming for.

Because of that, I didn't put in any labels (except for the title). I did add a few lines of an R.E.M. song that I really love. Like Riddell's drawing, "Maps and Legends" makes me want to wander around in a pretty fantasy land as well

This map started out as just an exercise. As such I planned hardly any of it. I just started doodling on a large piece of paper. It show in some places, particularly the in mountains and the river. Even the style changed a bit, as I worked my way around the page. In spite of that, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice during the making! I really appreciate the help

Materials: A3 drawing paper, pencil and microns. Coloured in Photoshop.
    Stock image: the aged paper background by Struckdumb on DeviantArt.
    Fuel: COFFEE!
    WIP Thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=32567

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TilvarelValley_CLR-100.jpg 
Views:	1392 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	78981

Beautiful map Blaidd, Love the mountains!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected xpian's Avatar
    Golden Gate Park Panhandle, San Francisco

So very nice! I love the style, the look and feel, all the little details.
    _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Open to cartographic commissions. Contact me: christian [at] stiehl.net
    christianstiehl.com

This is just lovely! The ink-work is very nice. I especially like the hatchwork on the mountains. Repped and rated.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I totally missed the WIP thread for this. Too bad because this map is amazing! It is very easy to see a story playing out within this map. I really love your style here too!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Awesome work Blaidd. though I understand your point about not labelling it, for me without informations labels or distance hints, it's rather an illustration than a real map. But it's sure be immersive so I guess the goal is reached

This is stunning. I really love your new style.

Beautiful, the kind of map that let me dreamy...

Man this is incredible, beautiful hatchwork and so unique. Awesom job

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Awesome work Blaidd. though I understand your point about not labelling it, for me without informations labels or distance hints, it's rather an illustration than a real map. But it's sure be immersive so I guess the goal is reached
    I sort of felt the same way when I had to make that decision. "Will it still be a map??" Might make for an interesting (philosophical) discussion: what is a map? How much information can you leave out before it stops being a map? Is there a gray area between map and illustration? How big is that area?

I had the same issue with colouring. I decided to go for colours because it looks better, but it also imparts information: it tells you exactly where the settlements are. One of the things I loved about Riddell's illustration is the fact that you need to look for those settlements, or stumble across them by accident. Sadly my drawing skills are nowhere near Riddell's (yet) so I went with pretty on this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast