Thread: Umbraland Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Umbraland Map

Warning: Major, MAJOR, MAJOR Work in Progress

Umbraland is a fantasy setting I'm always working on. Some time ago, I posted to WIP maps of the entire continent, but as of late have settled on a particular region to focus on.

Now, I'm working on a map done in the old-paper, hand-drawn style. It's full size is 40" x 30" at 300dpi, so the one you see here is at about a 25%.

And just in case any one wants a scale reference before the scale gets put up, the border-boxes are equal to 10 leagues, or 30 miles.

There's a ton of work to be done here, so I'll try and give a rough outline of what I'm looking to do:

I. Map Design
    1. Mountains & Hills (Trying to find a style I like)
    2. Rivers
    3. City & Town Icons
    4. Land, Sea, & Desert textures (maybe, maybe not)

II. Map Elements
    5. Typography for Settlements, Minor & Major Geographic features
    6. Legend
    7. Nation Icons (Planning on psuedo-arms & other crests)
    8. Border (since the "Lunar Web" is a big part of the world, I want to use a spider-web themed design on the border)

III. Finishing Details
    9. Distorting (Need to run some displacement filters to keep the straight edges from looking too straight)
    10. Fading & Aging (giving the text some wear & tear)
    11. Paper Texture (what I've got right now is just a merged together layer on 80% overlay. I plan on going back and tweaking it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umbraland_map_v1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	7391  
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.