Thread: What's the best paper/pen combo to use for making detailed maps?

Default What's the best paper/pen combo to use for making detailed maps?

I currently have been using 120lb paper with my Pigma Microns (005 Mostly) and my Copic Multiliners (.03 and .05) The problem I'm running into is my pens tend to bleed, slightly, into the paper, leaving me with very small smudges. Its becoming more and more of a problem as I attempt to expand the detail of my writing or the map itself. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

cold press paper, bristol board is good. Illustration board is even better.
    The higher the weave of the paper, the shinier and smooth it will be and generally will bleed less.
    But it will also smudge more. I don't encounter much bleed with my Microns. Don't use Copic so I can't respond to that.
    All of that is part of why I have moved mostly to digital. Plus it's easier and arguably better for today's professional workflow.
    I still like doing pencil and ink work when I can though.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that stuff. I'm dreading the transition to digital, but think its also necessary at some point. Pouring 5+ hours into a map only to scratch a pen across the surface, or smudge something by accident is heartbreaking. lol

I know exactly what you mean, and how you feel.
    When I started with digital, it was so frustrating.
    But the investment pays off. I could never have produced some of the maps I do now if I had stayed with just traditional.
    It's a balancing act. Maintaining the two and getting the best out of both of them.

But hey, you have some great, experienced people who can help you throw some of the pitfalls to digital.