View Poll Results: What do you think of this idea?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eureka! It's a stroke of genius!

8 61.54%
  • No thanks.

5 38.46%

Thread: Idea for "lite" mapping challenges

Guild Member

Post Idea for "lite" mapping challenges

I've noticed a recent trend with the mapping challenges that has inspired an idea...

The challenges have involved taking a pre-existing layout and building a map based on that layout... so what if the lite mapping challenges were to create those layouts?

For example, lets say the January lite mapping challenge would be to design a floorplan for a castle. The February (regular) mapping challenge could be to take that floorplan and flesh it out with a style, apply a plot/mood/theme, etc.

[Updated 28 Oct 2008] Another idea (thanks Ascension!) would be to have the lite challenge create an object (say, a top-down view of a statue) or even a map background like a crumpled sheet of paper, and the regular challenge would have to incorporate the winner's object/background/etc into their map.
    Last edited by Darken; 10-28-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Guild Journeyer

I think it has possibilities, but it would be tricky to provide the right level of detail for that layout that both makes the lite challenge worthwhile and gives people a good degree of freedom in the main challenge

The layouts (to date) have been very simple, usually just a bunch of shapes. It might be interesting to have more complex layouts, but as Jkaen says, the more complex they get the less freedom it gives the people who are to build on it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Maybe the light challenges could be for things other than mapping per se. We could add in the illustrative or 3d things like figures and say, chairs and tables, etc. Keep it small, like "gimme a nice paladin in top down view" or "gimme a nice compass" or "burnt paper" or "one night hack n slash campaign plot". This way we could show off or explore the other areas of interest we all have.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Sorry I had to edit the poll as it didn't comply with the guidelines. Yes/no answers are all that is allowed. I'm not going to nitpick the wording but they have to clearly be "yes" or "no".
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Sorry I had to edit the poll as it didn't comply with the guidelines. Yes/no answers are all that is allowed. I'm not going to nitpick the wording but they have to clearly be "yes" or "no".
    Ah, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Maybe the light challenges could be for things other than mapping per se. We could add in the illustrative or 3d things like figures and say, chairs and tables, etc. Keep it small, like "gimme a nice paladin in top down view" or "gimme a nice compass" or "burnt paper" or "one night hack n slash campaign plot". This way we could show off or explore the other areas of interest we all have.
    Actually, this could still flow with my original idea. For example, maybe the lite challenge one month could be "Create a top-down view of a statue" and the regular challenge the next month would require that the map some how incorporate the winner's statue... I'm updating the original post to reflect this idea, thanks Ascension!