Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Avearia - Looking for feedback

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Looking really nice so far, Kacey! As Ilanthar said, the new frame works like a charm. I look forwards to seeing this develop further and the changes you make to it!

Guild Expert

Thanks guy's, I worked really hard on that border so I really appreciate the kind word's. It took forever, especially the inner check pattern, when I decided to try it I had no idea it would be so hard to get the corners to match up.

Guild Expert

I've decided to completely redo the mountain outlines. The ones on the top are the new ones, and the ones on the bottom are the old ones.

Before I move ahead with the new style I was wondering what you guy's think?

Should I keep the old style, or move ahead with the new style?

I'd love to know you're opinions before I go ahead and outline the rest of the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	which mountains.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	80131

Hi Kacey,

New poster but long-time lurker. I think the new mountains are stronger on several levels. However, with that being said, I think that you could take some of the smaller old version mountains, lighten them a bit and use them as hills. I don't think the styles are so different that they couldn't co-exist on the same map as long as the represented different things and the hills matched the shading of the mountains.

Regards,
    Scott

I like both of them; I think the two styles aren't really better or worse one way or the other, only different. That said, I like the upper ones better for this map because they seem to fit with it better: they mix angles and curves, which matches with the border and the coastline. They also connect up to each other a little better, again a better fit with the border and coastline.

Keep the old style in your back pocket, though, it may have some use later!

Guild Expert

Thanx guy's I've been waiting for some feedback before I go ahead, and make many changes to the mountains. I think I might try and keep the peaks, extend them and redo the inner detail lines more like the new ones. I've started adding some little broken lines on the bottoms to try, and get them to blend in better, but they need much more work, and I might very well still scrap them altogether.

In the meantime I've been working on starting some river's and lakes. I also brightened up the colours, and made the water more blue, I was finding it a little dull looking before...What do you think?

Name:	WIP unexplored lands 1.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	9.32 MB 
ID:	80190

I think it's looking very good kacey. I find this style of mountains original and very pleasant.

Very nice work so far! The mountains look great, don't let perfectionism prevent you from moving on with the rest of the map. Remember that there is always time to refine your style in subsequent pieces. Rivers and lakes look great as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert

Thanx Ilanthar, I'm glad you like it. I've been very unsure about the style of the mountains.

Arsheesh, I think you're right, I've been spending far too much time fretting over these mountains so I decided to keep the old outlines, and I've been working on shading them. I'm not done yet, but when the mountain shading is done I'll post an update... And then I can start fretting over which style of trees to do.

Thanx again, I really appreciate the feedback, it helps keep me motivated, normally I would have given up by now.

Guild Expert

Quick update... Started some basic shading on the mountains, not fully done with them yet, but it's a start.

Any critiques, tips, or suggestions on what I have so far would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to know what you all think.

Name:	WIP mts shading.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	9.30 MB 
ID:	80234

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast