Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post

Post First post

Hi guys, this is my first post on this site.

I have been playing around with mapping, particularly for fantasy settings, for several years now. However, I only really started doing so digitally in the past two years.

The following map was started in Gimp, using RobA's method, with a few tweaks. I then touched it up in Photoshop, which I am more familiar with. It is a closeup of a section on a larger map, focusing on the central regions of a large empire.

Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Oh, and in case I decide to ever make any money from my work, I retain the rights and ownership of this map and all associated works.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Central Marinoth.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	869.9 KB 
ID:	7404  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Now that's a lovely first map. I particularly like the river system in the SE.

You've got some strange edge effects going on around the coastline - not sure what's causing these. I'd also say that some of the detail is too small to be clear - a number of the rivers blend a little too much into the texture of the land.

Great first map - have some rep!

Guild Journeyer

I agree nice in general, I like your font choice, but the coastline does appear a bit wierd

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Now that's a lovely first map. I particularly like the river system in the SE.

You've got some strange edge effects going on around the coastline - not sure what's causing these. I'd also say that some of the detail is too small to be clear - a number of the rivers blend a little too much into the texture of the land.

Great first map - have some rep!
    Thanks for the comments and the rep.

I think the effects along the coast were caused when I used the watercolour filter in PS. That gives the map its artistic effect, so I'm not sure how to do it without causing the coast to look like that. Not that I mind too much, I somewhat like the dark outline, and the price is certainly worth it. I'm going for functional beauty more than technical accuracy here.

If someone knows a way to get around this, however, I'd certainly give it a try.

As for the rivers, once again, this is caused by the watercolour filter. Not sure what to do there, either..

Thanks again.

Shaz

Great Map.

Now, who's stealing my limelight of being the first Repper for the newbs?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Journeyer

I am not familiar with PS but can you not use masks to protect against the filter for the coast / river?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Sorry NK

I'm also not a PS person. However if you walk through the steps for using the filter, we may well be able to help. My guess is that you are applying the watercolour filter to a layer with the land or the water on it. If so, you should be able to duplicate the water layer to make the rivers more prominent.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just copy the water and put it on top before applying the filter to the land, that should hide the odd stroking...but personally, I like it so I wouldn't change it either (I like the more artsy look anyways). Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice - has a bit of an atlas-like quality to it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice map! I like the style. I hope you'll show us the whole map soon?!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast