Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to pay for a map

Question How much to pay for a map

Hello! (Sorry to dive in on first post!)

One of my family members is a crazy talented artist that loves making maps. (They look top notch quality to me.)

I want to commission him to make a map of my world for my fantasy novel. I have absolutely no idea what a fair payment for him would be, I have never even bought artwork.

I'm not looking to get it inexpensively or get a family discount of any sort. If someone wanted you to make a map from them (complete fantasy from scratch, with descriptions of countries/terrains from me (and a bit of help with the logistics of proper geography,)) how much would you charge?

Thank you for any input!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hello Saraphiel, welcome to the Guild.

Why don't you just ask your family member how much he would charge? ?

I guess I could, it just felt like it would be an awkward conversation. I didn't want him to feel obligated to ask for less.

Ask them how long it would take. Then offer them something similar to expected wages in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really depends on what style the map is in...if he's hand painting every stroke and it's a large map it could take a ton of hours.

I used to really struggle with how much to charge, well, maybe I still do to be honest but what helped me was to figure out how much I need to make in a month to cover all my expenses and then how many hours I have to work. Do the math and that's how much per hour I need to make...that does tend to put most hobby purchasers out of the ball park but that's the honest wage if you were going to make a living as an artist.

So, yeah, depends on a lot of factors so I guess there is not a clear answer. As an artist gains in popularity then supply and demand drives the prices up. I often do maps for the love of doing it rather than to actually make a living out of it but then it's not my main source of income either.

Sorry, I'm not more help.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thank you so much for the input!!

I'm only expecting a black and white drawing, maybe with terrains on a key.

Your posts have been helpful. Hopefully there's some data on what a fair wage is around here, and then I'll add a couple or few bucks an hour.

He is so freakin talented, but he does none of his art professionally, just as a hobby. I bet he could make, at least, a modest amount of money with his work.

I'll point him towards this site. (maybe after this post is buried. :/ it would just be awkward, lol.)

Guild Journeyer

Maybe an approach you could take would be to say something like you would pay him $12/hr and expect it to take him 10 to 20 hours to make. That way you have set a lower and upper limit on the expectation, and he might realize that he could actually make a decent amount for doing it.

I've got a similar situation with my daughter. She's not at the level of professional, but I want to encourage her to draw more (people, scenes etc) so have offered to pay her for custom caricatures etc. Hasn't worked yet, but she hasn't shut me down yet.

Just a note on expectations for freelance work, since that $12/hr was thrown out there: A freelancer must take into account that they will not likely be working 40 hours / week. Thus, their hourly rate should be much higher to account for that. For a salary of around US$30,000 / year, and with no business overhead taken into consideration, a very busy freelancer (working an average of 30 billable hours / week) should charge somewhere in the vicinity of US$20/hour for their time. A reasonably busy freelancer (working and average of 20 billable hours per week) should charge at least $30.

Adding costs for equipment, supplies, business services (accounting, legal, advertising, etc), and facilities pushes those numbers up accordingly. $50/hour is not an unreasonable rate for a freelance artist in Los Angeles.

I have known some Los Angeles artists who thought $16 / hr as insourced "freelancers" (they get paid as though they're independent contractors, but the company treats them like regular employees. Illegal but rampant behavior in the visual effects business) was a fair wage. They forgot to account for being laid off for two to three months out of the year. None of them are still working in this industry.

I know $50+/hr seems high from the perspective of a consumer, but remember that what you're getting is a product that can be sold exactly once. The artist will quite likely never make another dime from a commissioned piece of work, even if they retain the copyright.

Here is some information for suggested rates for illustrators:
    http://www.illustratorsonline.com/we...riceguide.html

edit: Oh, and some people simply don't want to make a living at their hobby because that transforms their favorite leisure activity into a job, and they have a strict policy about hating their job.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I don't know if you have the time and or desire to do it yourself, but you can also ask yourself how much is your own time worth? If you could/should be writing your novel instead of messing around with a map, how much money (in time) would you be sacrificing?

Guild Journeyer

Note, I didn't say it, but the $12/hr rate is something I would suggest if you were paying a hobbyist to do it, not a professional. Midgardsormr is absolutely right in what a professional, either in a full-time or part-time mode should be looking at and the considerations they would need to account for in a rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast