Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jan / Feb 2016 Lite Challenge: The Tomb of Vrena and the Forgotten Poet

Banned User

Default Jan / Feb 2016 Lite Challenge: The Tomb of Vrena and the Forgotten Poet

Another type of map I've long wanted to try is a multi-layer isometric cavern map, and this challenge seems like a good one to do that, so here is my initial layout of the cavern complex, complete with a stream that will waterfall down through two levels to the ground.

I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to draw the cave walls or the waterfalls and stream yet, but I did manage to make something that looks remotely like stone steps between the levels.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tomb 05.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	79457

All suggestions welcome!

Interesting start. Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I love Isometric maps, looking forward to seeing this one progress, Chick! Very brave choice!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    ...Very brave choice!
    Thanks, Saria, if you knew my history with drawing things, you'd know just how true that is

Anyway, after six times starting over from scratch, I've finally got this shaded in a way I like. Helpful suggestions always welcome!

### Latest WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tomb 05a.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	79480

Nice! has some real depth!

Can't wait to see this, love underground stuff.

Guild Apprentice

Looks right for an isometry. Difficult and original concept for a map.

Great start Chick, nice touch with the walls. I can't give much advice cause I can't do this, but if you need ideas check out Djekspek's iso maps, here is a link to one of them.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hlight=uthriam

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great start Chick, nice touch with the walls. I can't give much advice cause I can't do this, but if you need ideas check out Djekspek's iso maps, here is a link to one of them.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...hlight=uthriam
    Wow, that's really nice, thanks for the pointer, Bogie!! It's kind of a shame that he isn't around here much any more.

Anyway, I'm still plugging away at this, maybe an update tomorrow.

Guild Artisan

The relief and the perspective look almost perfect. This is a quite exceptionnal map of a kind that one sees rarely over here.

I would have just 1 remark.
    The light has to come from somewhere to create such a contrast between light and dark.
    Here it seems to me that it comes mostly from the left.
    I say mostly because the top left cavern looks Strange - the lightest spots are both on the right AND left wall.
    But if the light comes from the left then the left wall will get only diffused light and that will make it darker than the right wall. And if the light comes from the right then it's the right wall which would be darker than the left wall.
    So it looks like if the direct light was coming simultaneously from the right and from the left ....
    But that is again contradicted by the deep shadows on the left and right wall which wouldn't be so deep of both were receiving direct light.

What I would do would be to make the wall that doesn't receive direct light a bit darker than the opposite wall which receives it. On the walls that are perpendicular (e.g the top and bottom ones) this doesn't change anything or not enough to bother changing them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast