Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Member location map.

Blog Entries

Post Member location map.

Hey guys, I have put together this nifty cgi script so that we can all add ourselves to a global map. You can tool tip on any of the red dots to see where people are. Try not to abuse it by adding lots of frivolous stuff to it. In any case early additions are on the top so late spammers get pushed to bottom of the tool tips - that and ill review the list now and again. Hope this can show where we all are as often I have no idea.

View or add yourself... here

You have to enter lat long values. You can get these from a variety of places but google maps is just as good as any.

If you dont know what a lat and long looks like then shame on you !

London is approx Lat 51.5 and Long 0.0
    Florida is approx Lat 25.0 and Long -80.0

Northern Hemisphere is positive Lat
    Western Hemisphere is negative Long

Oh yes, one more thing; The handle name characters are limited to a-z A-Z and 0-9 plus spaces. You will also get a warning note if you use a previously entered handle. PM me if your has been stolen !

Edit -- It seems we really do need a diagram...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PosNeg.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	7430  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-30-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Guild Journeyer

I have sort of lied and put in the loc of my new job and where I will be living in a few months time rather than where I am right now

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool Stuff!

OK, it's to damned early and I haven't woke up yet so I screwed up.

@RedRobes - Delete the 'Steel' handle that looks like its in Nepal & please correct the 'SteelGeneral' handle that's currently off the coast of South America. The long. is supposed to be -85.12 and it looks like I forgot the negative sign.

That'll learn me to try and do things before I'm completely awake.
    Last edited by Steel General; 10-29-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Cause I'm an idiot and can't type
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Jezelf, you live on an oil rig in the north sea?

Blog Entries

Ok guys, if you screw up then put in a name like Redrobes_Attempt2 Redrobes_Attempt3 etc and ill go through and delete all but the highest and remove the Attempt suffix bit.

Also the lat longs are in decimal not minutes and seconds.

To get them go to google maps and zoom into where you live. Click on the link labeled 'Link' in the top right which makes up a big highlighted URL, press right key to unhighlight it and put cursor on the right side of it. In there is the lat and long coords. Note them, or cut n paste them in.

See example below for New York Central Park.
    Lat = 40.781874
    Long = -73.964767

You dont need to be too accurate as each pixel locator is tens of miles across so a few decimal points of accuracy is all thats needed.

Fixed you up Steel. If your happy with that second location then God knows where you are then ! You floating on a raft looking for land ( with a good internet connection ). I didn't think I would need the arctic or antarctic but maybe that was a short sighted decision...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-29-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Jkaen View Post
    Jezelf, you live on an oil rig in the north sea?
    LOL- adrift in a sea on confusion. nah just screwed up. Im in Dundee - thanks redrobes for correcting that.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by jezelf View Post
    LOL- adrift in a sea on confusion. nah just screwed up. Im in Dundee - thanks redrobes for correcting that.
    Ahh was hoping some people were going to end up being in really cool unusual places

Hey steel you sank?

why my name appears only "jo"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joćo paulo View Post
    why my name appears only "jo"?
    Yeah, sorry but the characters were limited to a-z, A-Z and 0-9 so it rejected the unicode one with the tilde. Fixed now but with a normal 'a' hope that doesn't make too much difference. Ta for entering - it was your location and Torq's that made me think this would be interesting.

thankful Red

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast