Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jan / Feb 2016 Lite Challenge: Glasgow Necropolis

Default Jan / Feb 2016 Lite Challenge: Glasgow Necropolis

Since I have no clue about dungeon maps or the like, I thought I'd try to make a map of a real world place, so I'm doing Glasgow's Necropolis, a famous old cemetery in the city full of amazing tombstones.

I've created the basic layout with a couple of blank areas where I'm hoping to insert illustrations of a couple of the monuments. I took the time to plan a little, instead of my usual 'throw it at the wall and see what sticks' approach, so I hope the layout feels balanced. (My biggest empty box doesn't line up right now because there ended up being more labels than I thought, but obviously I'll fix that.)

I'd ideally like to do a bit more with the cemetery itself but I'm not sure if it might spoil the simplistic look of the 'informational' style of map. I suppose a couple of trees wouldn't hurt. (I've been snooping on Snodsy's current Nature Centre WIP for ideas!) After I get the monuments done, I'll have a poke around and see what works.

My original thought was to create the monuments in Sketchup but, for various reasons(!) I think I'll stick with Inkscape and Gimp for now and see how it goes.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	necropolis1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	79476
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

There are some really cool names on those monuments! Looking good.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Chickpea, you always have such interesting ideas! This one's no exception.

Good start!

Fun, I've visited this necropolis. I have to say I've a better memory of the university though...

I'm a bit behind with this, but here's an update for now. No part is finished yet. I still need to do some tidying up and shading with the illustrations, and I want to get those done soon.

I drew in a few trees just to see what they looked like, but I feel what I have doesn't really work with the style of the rest of the map. Something about my hand-drawn squiggles doesn't seem to fit. Not sure what's best to do. Might make a few tree shapes in Inkscape and see how they look dotted around. Also need to try a few things with the gravestones. There's no way I'm doing a realistic representation (since there's 3,500 of them!) but I thought a few rows of rectangles could represent some graves, with the odd larger building here and there. The satellite image on Google Maps is fairly decent so I can use that as a guide.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	necropolis2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	79844

I think your trees are an okay fit, though some vector ones might be a better fit.
    The whole thing is looking quite fabulous. Really nice subdued color scheme and nice overall layout.

Yeah, I think the trees look fine also.

Thanks, guys! Think I'm going to redo the trees anyway. Inkscape's clone tool is perfect for something like this, as I can bang out a large number of trees with slight variations without too much hassle (and probably nicer than my hand-drawing efforts!!)

Will post again at the weekend.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast