Thread: Universe super cluster Map

Guild Member

Map Universe super cluster Map

Here is about as done as my RPG universe map will get. I've already printed this map on 9 pages (3x3 tileable) so now I can safely store my large newsprint map it is somewhat based off.

The scale used on the map is not absolute, but it is relative to the locations.

Here's how it breaks down...

The universe is divided into large clusters of galaxies (called superstrings in the game) much the same way star systems are composed of bodies, and galaxies composed of many star systems.

However, intergalactic travel is fairly common but travel between superstrings is exceptionally rare and very cost prohibitive in both resources and time.

Now that some of the background is out of the way, here is the map exported as a gif image to where the system text is just readable.

GIF image | 2200x1600 | 43.42 KB (44467 bytes)
    Created with CC2 using Cosmographer Symbols
    http://mgcjerry.net/Isicander_Project/MapLarge.gif

The data on the systems is located in a different post here on Cartographers Guild, but here it is for the lazy. :p
    http://mgcjerry.net/Isicander_Project/superstrings.html

Enjoy...
    Comments welcome

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Even though the concept is amazing, and the technical execution is quite solid, I somewhat find that the map lacks some artistic approach... Now don't get me wrong, this by no means makes it a bad map, its just a slight matter of preference...

I'd put some non-functional stars, some kind of orientation tool maybe( unless the universe is flat there ), that sort of stuff.

I do however like the fact that you put in galaxies, gives a nice touch when zoomed in.

Hope you don't mind my PEACH.( please examine and critique honestly)

Guild Member

Thanks for the comments, and especially the PREACH.. ..

A few comments...
    * This is the actual map that will be used by the players, which if they see some "non-functional" stuff standing out in the map, they will ask questions about the items. By player preference, actual game maps are VERY simple, containing only game items and no eye candy. Even on hand drawn maps. This map was printed on 9 pieces of paper and stitched together. However, if I decide to do a artistic version of the map, that is definitely item #1 on the list, but generally if there is no player demand for it, I usually don't bother... But... More on this in a bit.
    * The orientation thing is a good idea. Ironically, I already have the superstring coordinates (on the superstrings page) but neglected to put them on the map. Minor oversight that will be taken care of. Distances between the traveled (rarely) superstrings would be nifty I think also. Now only if the travelers ever named the "runs" between superstrings but alas, they dont. However, system runs are generally named.

As far as the galaxies are concerned, I'm currently working on the galaxy zoom level where one could zoom in on the galaxy and see the systems relative locations within the galaxy as well as the travel lanes between them. This resulting map will be made available as a download for players to help them reference items for my online version of the game. Generally player downloads are restricted to players by my download system but I'd be willing to post the resulting FCW file here as well.

Thanks again for the comments Iliyan. They are very much appreciated.

Great artwork.

and too much respect

I would like to see you in the monthly challenge.

Guild Member

Thanks joćo. Glad you liked the map.

Thanks for the rep.

Edited:
    The map at the link above has been updated. Is the simialr to the map I have in the mapping challenge. You may need to force refresh your browser if it doesnt load the map with some additional information on it.

The only differences between the maps is the crossover addition.
    Last edited by MGCJerry; 11-24-2008 at 12:38 PM.