Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Redmond Washington, USA

Post Hello from Redmond Washington, USA

Hello,

My name is David. As I mentioned in the title, I live in Redmond Washington, USA. I'm 41 years old (or soon will be at any rate) I've been an avid gamer, artist, and fantasy cartographer (for personal use only) for the better part of 30 years. I live with my girlfriend, her six year old daughter (I call her my daughter just because she’s never seen her father), and our two and a half year old son.

I haven't been using my artistic skills as much in the last 10 years as I used to, however, I've recently been laid off work and the thought of finding another dead-end warehouse job just isn't all that exciting. With that said, I'm dusting off my portfolio, updating it some, brushing up on my GIMP skills (no pun intended) and getting ready to find an exhilarating career in game development as an 2d artist, if there’s any positions left that is.

I stumbled across the Cartographer Guild this evening while searching for a mapping tutorial for GIMP. I think, and yes the memory is the first thing to go, I have visited this site before but this is the first time I've joined and posted. I'll be muddling together a fantasy map in the coming weeks to add to my portfolio. If I create it in GIMP I'll post a daily progress report and let you guys see just how rusty I am.

Does anyone happen to know of a sight like this for fantasy artwork, Dragons, Orcs, ect.....?

Thanks all,

David
    Last edited by David; 10-30-2008 at 02:50 AM. Reason: typo

Map Quicky map

OK, I felt a little compelled to post some kind of map so .......... Yah......

Here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floormap1ki7.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	391.5 KB 
ID:	7423  
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 10-30-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Attached map for Ya!

hhmmm that didn't work..........

Ok well heres the link anyway. Have a look if you want.

http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?i...oormap1ki7.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Since you posted a map right away (even though it didn't quite work), let me banish your Blue Pip of Shame. *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Welcome Aboard!

Since you posted a map right away (even though it didn't quite work), let me banish your Blue Pip of Shame. *bonk*
    THIEF! I Copyrighted the Concept of BLUE PIP 'o' SHAME!

Anyways, welcome David!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

David I attached the map for you.

Not sure if you were aware, but you can attach maps through the attach feature. We support the common formats: JPG, BMP, PNG as well as ZIP, PDF and WORD I believe
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    THIEF! I Copyrighted the Concept of BLUE PIP 'o' SHAME!
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery NK!

Besides, when a 'phrase' is that good why not use it?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Steel General

Thank you. What's the "Blue Pip of Shame"

NeonKnight

Not sure if you were aware, but you can attach maps through the attach feature. We support the common formats: JPG, BMP, PNG as well as ZIP, PDF and WORD I believe
    Thank you for the attachment. I was using the Insert Image function. Still not sure why it didn't work.

Have you guys considered supporting the .xcf file extension for GIMP. It's a bit large for the internet though so maybe that not a great idea after all.

RobA

Hi David.

I like that grungy look you achieved in the map.

-Rob A>
    Honestly, I think I got that from looking at one of the maps on this forum a while back. so, someone here should really get credit for coming up with the look.

Oh I also forgot to mention that I make Celtic Knots. Now lets see if the attachment works for me this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knot 103008001.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	7425  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast