0 0%
  • Lemuria, by Warlin

9 32.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** January 2016 VOTING: Re-Map a Pulp World

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** January 2016 VOTING: Re-Map a Pulp World

Well, despite the less-than-clear brief (sorry, I'll do better next time), we had some outstanding entries this month. Some of the best I've seen in my years here, in fact.

Here are the challenge pics:

Pulpy Goodness

Vote for as many entries as you like, and please make sure to rep everyone you think is worthy.

Voting will end in three (3) days; sorry I had to close it out a little early. Got to get to sleep early tonight.

All so many great maps! I can't wait till the next challenge.

Interesting to see so diverse entries. Cool maps!

Lots of cool maps this month, the old fashioned feeling is perfectly rendered on some entries, i'm particularly fond of Sapiento's style on this one, i can feel the pulp style here

Gorgeous maps, this was very hard to vote!!

Excellent work everyone, So hard to vote. At least I can pass out a lot of REP.

Oops, I realize now I could have voted on more than one entry!! It was so hard to pick, it didn't have to be that way.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I repped those I could. I'll get the rest of you on the flipside, hopefully.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Solice's Avatar

Beautiful work everyone. Such inspiration.

I hate you guys...that was brutal.

I said to myself I should vote for 1, well, maybe 2, but no more and then I just could not narrow it down. So I took a couple days to think about it. I came back and still couldn't do it....so in the end what I did was just looked at the images and how they made me feel....did I feel PULP or not. I don't care what story it was about but more of which ones reminded me of the old comic books my dad gave me, that sort of thing.

All the maps where excellent quality so I just went for what screamed "pulp" to me personally.

My 1st vote went to timallen because it hits the perfect feel imo and what I see pulp as being. The font does a lot of this but the 10 cent in the corner just sells it. Remember I used to read those 10-15 cent comics my dad gave me.

My 2nd vote was for MAX because his just has that dark noir pulp mystery thing going on. Being black and white up against all those colored entries it might not catch your eye quite as quickly but it's on the mark for this challenge.

Not to take away from any of the others but I'm kinda shocked these two aren't more in the forefront.

If I'd gone with a 3rd vote I think Chick did a nice job with the whole Barsoom entry. Seems to me you have come a long way map-wise since you joined.

I also do like Saps entry and I think from a modern perspective his could certainly be on the cover of a pulp magazine but it felt, I don't know, maybe a bit to far out? In other words, I couldn't quite put it on the cover of one of those old comics. Not off by much but just enough for my taste. You still did a great job Sap and if you win I totally get why.

As for the other maps, like I said, they are great but if I could see your entry as a general fantasy map other than what felt like Pulp to me then it cost you, sorry. In almost any other challenge it would not have.

Warlin - your map is gorgeous and sucks me into it, a very good quality in a map.

Carnifex - also beautiful and actually has that similar feel to warlin's.

JD - that is an incredible map and love the perspective. It looks to me like you did the most drawing (no idea if that's true but I see a zillion pencil strokes).

Waldonrate - I love these oddball maps you make from time to time and I don't always get it either but that's OK, they are still fun.

So that's just how I went about trying to get around the impossible choice you guys created here. What a great month!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast