Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another map request

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Another map request

Hi Guys,

I've been playing around for over 40 hours trying to convert my old map (which has been redone twice from paper to pc) without success. I've looked at several how-to's and even with Erionds examples, I just can't seem to get it even close. I just plane suck at it. I have no idea how you guy charge ($) for making one but Ive included (the main map is roughly 7megs in size. Here are the basics (the original map, the black and white contour map and an example of what I'm trying to achieve. I just need the map. no text or building ect... Can someone help.

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kryox_text.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	6.94 MB 
ID:	79732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test66.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	339.0 KB 
ID:	79733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world_map_of_eriond_by_arsheesh-d490uur.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	79734  

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

That's interesting. Send me an email to info [@] versakestudio.com (use the correct email address, without the []), and we can talk about it.

I piddled about with this last week but forgot to actually post anything. It's a fairly basic Wilbur terrain with a blurred version of your original map draped over it for coloring because I wasn't up for repainting the terrain areas. It's half the size of the original to save space. I have the original masks, terrain, and output layers along with the Photoshop files if you'd like them.

There are probably some issues with the rivers in the sense of too many, especially in the deserts, and an awful lot of internal drainage that I didn't want to wrestle with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kryox_sample_2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	529.8 KB 
ID:	80026

http://www.fracterra.com/kryox_sample.png is the full-size, full-res version. I added the river overlay from Wilbur rather than going with the deeply-incised canyons from the Eriond tutorial (I vaguely recall that I wrote the river overlay feature in response to that tutorial's rivers).

Wow, that is well above what I was able to manage. I'll take a better look when I get home. I see what you mean by to much rivers rofl. I thought my mountians would of been much more dominant after a few tests. Guess I was wrong. Could be just a question of gradiant colours maybe. thank you very much for you time though. this looks promessing.

There aren't any gradient colors here; it's a straight grayscale multiplied with your original color map in the background and a snow layer and river layer plopped on top of that. I'm guessing that it's the snow layer that's causing the highest mountains to pop.

Ah ok. see how pro I am.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I piddled about with this last week but forgot to actually post anything. It's a fairly basic Wilbur terrain with a blurred version of your original map draped over it for coloring because I wasn't up for repainting the terrain areas. It's half the size of the original to save space. I have the original masks, terrain, and output layers along with the Photoshop files if you'd like them.

There are probably some issues with the rivers in the sense of too many, especially in the deserts, and an awful lot of internal drainage that I didn't want to wrestle with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kryox_sample_2.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	529.8 KB 
ID:	80026

http://www.fracterra.com/kryox_sample.png is the full-size, full-res version. I added the river overlay from Wilbur rather than going with the deeply-incised canyons from the Eriond tutorial (I vaguely recall that I wrote the river overlay feature in response to that tutorial's rivers).
    Just noticed. yea, would be sweet to see what you did on the other levels.

http://www.fracterra.com/kryox has the source images and a 1/9 resolution PSD file to see how I put them together. The files are fairly large:

9,851,166 bump.png
    195,696 hills.gif
    316,626,780 kryox_sample.psd
    542,559 kryox_sample_2.jpg
    43,469,132 kryox_sample_small.psd
    141,210,624 kryox_terrain.mdr
    7,280,778 kryox_text.jpg
    26,686,918 light.png
    98,766 mtns.gif
    20,194,591 ra.png
    738,572 rivers.png
    304,393 seamask.png
    1,394,757 snow.png

I didn't include the mdr (Wilbur terrain files) or the full-res PSD file for bandwidth and storage reasons. I can upload them if you're really interested.

thanks. I'll look tonight. I tried to reproduce the mountains yesterday and see if I could get them more well like the map, higher and present and wasn't even close. hahahaha man, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=29412 has some tutorials for using Wilbur. The technique I used is a variation of the "CSU Johnsondale" one. Trying to perform the processing (especially incise flow) on a very large map takes a whole lot of time. I have found that starting at a lower resolution and the resampling to larger and larger values, repeating the basic processing at each step, is much faster overall and gives results at least as good as full-resolution processing in most cases. I need to spend a little time and write up the modified process. I also should spend a few days (that I never seem to have anymore) and finish up an updated version of Wilbur that allows for scripting and macro capture.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast