Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [GIMP Plug-in] GURM

I'm glad to know that the solution is so simple

i may go on arranging my patterns and gradients folders,

PS a python plugin Gui may have 2 tabs?
    Last edited by PhotoComix; 12-08-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Glad to help

Not sure I understand your last question, here are two screenshot of how GURM looks like.

GURM uses tabs for all managers, so you can setup all your needed resources and click on ok. Afterwards all chosen resources are going to be installed.

So if you are using all managers, GURM has 6 tabs. If you deactivate some managers in the gurm.ini, e.g. the Script-Fu manager, it doesnt show up in GURM reducing the numbers of tabs you have.

If you wanted to know if its possible to use tabs while using a python plug-in instead of a Script-fu plug-in the answer would be no and yes. The standard GIMP python window is very similar to the script-fu window, in fact it cant do everything you can do with script-fu. But you can create your own GUI with python using PyGTK, thats what I am doing for GURM.

The screenshots are taken from version 0.7 which I am currently working at, so do not get confused the most updated version you could have is 0.6. In addition the screenshots are taken on a linux machine, if you are using windows GURM looks more grey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto-GIMP Unified Resource Manager.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	8250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto-GIMP Unified Resource Manager-1.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	8251  
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Does GURM iterate nested directories or does it only look at the top level dirs?

Right now all my patterns for mapping are arranged in a hirarchical set of folders:

-natural
    --dirt
    --rock
    --water
    --snow
    --grass
    --misc
    -manmade
    --stone
    --tile
    ---ceramic
    ---marble
    --wood
    --fabric
    -large scale
    --urban
    --rural

And rather than flattening these out it would be nice if GURM would prwesent them all

-Rob A.

Hmm atm GURM cant do this. Though if you do not have any additional subdirectories it would look flantened like this:

dirt
    rock
    water
    snow
    grass
    misc
    stone
    ceramic
    marble
    wood
    fabric
    urban
    rural

An additional problem would be that even if GURM could do it (which would be rather simple to implement or at least I assume it without having tested it ), you just would see above list. Your structure wouldnt be translated into labels for the subdirectories.

It would require a code change to implement the labeling, let me think about it.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Post new version is out

I just uploaded version 0.7 of gurm (see first post of this threat). Please consider upgrading to it

As always, please tell me if you got any problems while upgrading or with the new version of GURM.
    My Map Challenge Entries

I would have a few question to all gurm users here

- Besides RobA's feature request, are there any other wishes/feature requests?

- Is there anything else that could be improved? (Atm the progress bar seems still buggy to me?)

- Do you have performance troubles using gurm?

Besides that, I'd like to know if someone would be willing to do a logo (is that the correct word?) for gurm. I would add it to the next release then.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenlicht View Post
    Besides that, I'd like to know if someone would be willing to do a logo (is that the correct word?) for gurm. I would add it to the next release then.
    How's something like this:

Name:  gurm.png
Views: 236
Size:  15.0 KB

-Rob A>

Post Thanks

Thanks RobA

Sure, why not. Maybe replace the palette symbol with an actual palette symbol?

I did take this example symbol from http://clipart.peirceinternet.com/index.html, but I just wanted to show an example what I mean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artpalette1.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	9824  
    My Map Challenge Entries

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Something that would be worth noting in future versions of the README.TXT for users of 64bit Vista is that the python script's link to the GURMINI cannot handle some special characters, namely parenthesis, so if your copy of GIMP is installed in the default folder, which is C:\Program Files (x86), then you cannot have your INI file in the plug-ins folder alongside the PY file or the script will be unable to locate it.

Granted it might not be a common problem, but it's a small addition that would (in theory) save some people a lot of headache.

Overall, though, great plug-in.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Hey Sagenlicht,

I did attempt to try out GURM, but ran into a problem. I edited the .py file to point to where I was putting the .ini file, which is the same directory as the .py file. But when attepting to run GURM, I get an error message saying that the script couldn't find the .ini file, and then GIMP tells me the script crashed. I'm not sure what I did wrong...

I didn't use notepad or wordpad to do the editing; I can't remember what I used but it appears to be a code-aware text editor (as certain things were highlighted red, etc.); I think it's something I may have downloaded and installed in the frenzy to set-up Python. I don't have my personal laptop with me at the moment, so I can't double-check right now.

I also edited the .ini file to point to where I currently have all the brushes and stuff... currently these are in the default GIMP folders. Is it a problem if I have both the GIMP folder for these resources and my personal folder to be the same path in the .ini file?

So... for a feature request: this might be a lot more difficult to make work right, but how about a simple installer that edits the .py and .ini files automatically for us, based on finding the GIMP script directory for us automatically (or, if necessary, based on inputting that data into the installer program) and that allows us to input our resources folders and writes this into the .ini as well? That might take quite a bit of coding, I guess, but just a thought...
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast