Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [GIMP Plug-in] GURM

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

@Karro - FYI Sagenlicht is in the middle of a house move and his wife will be having a baby soon, so he may not respond for awhile.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    @Karro - FYI Sagenlicht is in the middle of a house move and his wife will be having a baby soon, so he may not respond for awhile.
    Ahh, cool; thanks for the info! It's no rush - far from critical...

@Sagenlicht: Good luck, and congrats on the baby!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Ahh, cool; thanks for the info! It's no rush - far from critical...

@Sagenlicht: Good luck, and congrats on the baby!

Umm whats the path you are putting in?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

For what it is worth, here is my gurm.ini:

Code:
    [Brush Manager]
    useManager = yes
    gimpPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Brushes\ACTIVE_DIR
    userPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Brushes\INSTALL_DIR
    extensions = .gbr,.vbr,.gih,.abr,
    installedOptions = 

[Gradient Manager]
    useManager = yes
    gimpPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Gradients\ACTIVE_DIR
    userPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Gradients\INSTALL_DIR
    extensions = .ggr,.svg,
    installedOptions = Terrain,

[Palette Manager]
    useManager = yes
    gimpPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Palettes\ACTIVE_DIR
    userPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Palettes\INSTALL_DIR
    extensions = .gpl,
    installedOptions = 

[Pattern Manager]
    useManager = yes
    gimpPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Patterns\ACTIVE_DIR
    userPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Patterns\INSTALL_DIR
    extensions = .pat,.jpg,.png,.tiff,.bmp,.gif,
    installedOptions = roofs,

[Script Manager]
    useManager = no
    gimpPath = C:\Documents and Settings\838453\.gimp-2.6\scripts
    userPath = <Your Path>
    extensions = .scm,
    installedOptions = 

[Read this]
    ; Please do not edit anything manually in here except for "gimpPath" and "userPath"
    ; which have to be set manuall and the useManager field if you want to use the
    ; manager.
    ; For more details please read the readme file.
    and I've added that directory to my preferences for all resources (here is my brushes preference):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brushes.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	10763

BTW, Gimp is installed under PF, not "Program Files" on my system. I have blacked out my login name, yours should be there by the default install.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Umm whats the path you are putting in?
    Will have to wait until after I get home for the day (probably around 9-9:30 ET tonight)... Don't have access to my personal laptop here at work...
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Okay, so I used IDLE to edit the gurm.py file, and Notepad to edit gurm.ini.

The third line of the py file reads:

GURMINI = "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\gurm.ini"

which references the folder that both the gurm py and ini files are located in.

The ini file has lines written up like the following:

gimpPath = C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes
    userPath = C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes

which is the default brush folder for GIMP on my install. The other gurm managers reference the default folders of their respective resources in the same manner.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Okay, so I used IDLE to edit the gurm.py file, and Notepad to edit gurm.ini.

The third line of the py file reads:

GURMINI = "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\gurm.ini"

which references the folder that both the gurm py and ini files are located in.

The ini file has lines written up like the following:

gimpPath = C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes
    userPath = C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes

which is the default brush folder for GIMP on my install. The other gurm managers reference the default folders of their respective resources in the same manner.
    Try this ..Go to Edit Preferences.. Plugins... make sure you have TWO sets of folders ,one pointing to your program files folder and the other pointing to your user folder. Move the gurm.py file to the one that is in your user folder. Should be something like "C:\Users\USERNAME\.gimp-2.6\plug-ins"

I have had some problems getting plugins and scripts to work in the install folder. Second....installing user stuff (brushes, etc) to your install folder is generally bad juju...now, if you uninstall GIMP to install a new version, all your added in stuff is gone....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Try this ..Go to Edit Preferences.. Plugins... make sure you have TWO sets of folders ,one pointing to your program files folder and the other pointing to your user folder. Move the gurm.py file to the one that is in your user folder. Should be something like "C:\Users\USERNAME\.gimp-2.6\plug-ins"

I have had some problems getting plugins and scripts to work in the install folder. Second....installing user stuff (brushes, etc) to your install folder is generally bad juju...now, if you uninstall GIMP to install a new version, all your added in stuff is gone....
    Hmm. Bad juju you say? That sounds somewhat less than ideal...

Good suggestions, though. So far I haven't had a problem with the brushes I've installed in the brush folder disappearing through all the uninstalls/installs... but I can definitely see the possibility of it happening. Luckily I've got them all stored in my downloads folder as well.

Anyway... once again, I'll be on this as soon as I get home and get a chance to fiddle on my personal laptop.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

That is why I did mine the way I did.

gimpPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Patterns\ACTIVE_DIR
    userPath = C:\Local Documents\Gimp Resources\Gimp Patterns\INSTALL_DIR
    userPath - defines the folder that GURM will look it to build its list, using each subfolder within that one as one check box.

gimpPath - defines where the plugin will copy to/delete from when a folder is toggled in GURM.

I added my specified gimpPath(s) to my gimp preferences, SEPARATE from the default "documents and settings/user/.gimp/..." paths. This means that if I create a new pattern (using paste to pattern) or gradient or brush, the go in my "/documents and settings/user/.gimp/whatever/" directory, and stay separate from the resources GURM is moving in and out.

-Rob A>

Hm.... Interesting.

So basically, if I follow right, what GURM is doing (which I haven't had a chance to see in action yet) is making certain folders of resources - brushes, patterns, etc. - visible or invisible to GIMP without having to restart GIMP each time... keeping the various tool palettes clean and easy to scroll through to find the resource you need. Is that about right?

And I guess this only really works if you store the resources in an outside folder. That makes sense.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast