Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treasure Map WIP

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Wip Treasure Map WIP

One thing I am very keen on when I make my maps and see other people's maps is their physicality. I always love seeing the textured effects put on the digital maps, or the hand-drawn qualities within them, but I love even more seeing physical maps that can be folded and felt with ink stains and aging. I'm currently working on a couple of maps and that tangible aspect of them is a running theme across all of them, some more than others.

Here is the first part of a treasure map, I've started:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Treasure Map WIP.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	79808

Although this might not show much yet, I'm hoping as I develop this project, it will. I obviously need to finish drawing it up and then will probably coffee-stain it (depending on how my experimentation with that process goes). It might take me a little while to get much further with this map as it is taking quite a lot of thought to plan it and also I'm temporarily postponing it whilst I work on the Lite Challenge.

Hope you like it in its primal stages, and any feedback is always welcome!

I'm looking forward to this!

When I did a similar project, I did the map art first on a flat page, and then folded and stained it after the fact. I think you might have better luck doing the line art first, if you aren't too far along.

The folds are key to it, so that is why I did these folds early. Luckily it hasn't affected doing the rest of the linework so far. Thanks for the advice nonetheless jshoer, I plan to stain mine as well! It will also have a load of text clues in the gap on the left side.

Hopefully, I'll upload a new WIP pic soon!

Here is an update on this map. I've filled in a few of the details and completed the text puzzle used to solve it. I seem to be doing parts in a strange order, but everything is nonetheless going okay. Feel free to comment and critique (and rep of course ).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Treasure Map Ink WIP.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	80073

I like the mystique you are building. It will be fun to see you build up features to match the text! I'm also enjoying the sea serpent and the giant tree. Is that a cliffside cave in the middle?

Thanks jshoer! Yes it is a cliffside cave, though I'm still trying to work out whether it should be an isolated feature or whether I should try and integrate the cliffline into it (like the pencil around it). I'll probably just play around and see what works.

It looks good GLS. This cave is a success . And your handwriting is excellent, btw.

Thanks, I was pretty pleased I managed to write it all in a decent-ish looking font without messing up! I guess all the map and ink practice is paying off!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Everybody loves treasure maps! It looks nice, especially the writing I must say.

This is just awesome! I love the 'Ye Olde English' language you've used. It only adds to the appeal.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast