Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Council of Five - Floating Castle

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

OK yet another slow day at work - god I hate waiting for people to make up their minds about things sometimes - anyway...

- Redid the clouds, I like these much better.
    - Put a blur on the terrain below
    - Added a shadow of the whole floating mass over the land below

Here's two versions - one "normal" and one with colored 'sigils' as suggested by mmmmmpig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CouncilOf5.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	7503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CouncilOf5-colorsigils.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	7504  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

If the castle is floating really high as it appears to be then the air between the castle and the ground would have a fog or mist about it which would tend to make the floor look slightly gray in tone just like distant mountains across from you might have. So do you think it would be good to blend some light gray into the floor terrain so that it looks more distinct to the castle terrain ? That simple fix up might make it look its floating even higher.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm impressed with how this one is coming along.

Perhaps the clouds would be useful for giving the castle the illusion of flying if they were beneath the castle?

Also, I agree with Redrobes. Distant objects tend to be bluer and lighter. This should be possible by just brightening the ground layer and then shunting the colour balance towards blue.

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments/suggestions. I'll give those a try next time I get a chance to work on it.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the "normal" one better than the one with colored sigals and the colored sigals version more than the colored tower version.

This is coimig along rather nicely. I am rather enjoying watching the process.
    Something witty and pithy

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I'm impressed with how this one is coming along.

Perhaps the clouds would be useful for giving the castle the illusion of flying if they were beneath the castle?

Also, I agree with Redrobes. Distant objects tend to be bluer and lighter. This should be possible by just brightening the ground layer and then shunting the colour balance towards blue.
    I know this very well, it's atmospheric perspective, it kills me when I try taking long distance photos of mountain ranges and such..

but the further away something is, the more it increases blur and the blueish 'film' effect in photos, so keep that in mind for adding depth.

Yep! Clouds rock on now!!! Rep++
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Adding on to what the others have already said...I think the ground seems to have more detail than the castle ground. Those little blobby things seem to attract my eye too much. If that was a pattern, try making it smaller, or just a layer of olive green with some clouds and noise for variation to break up the green. The mountains look good though but the towers look a lil flat, more like daises, although I'm sure the shadows will come later (they always come last for me). The shadow of the floating ground should be darker though as I can't find it, and it should also be smaller (to lend to the height feeling). Take the base layer and copy it then rescale it down and color it black and lower the opacity.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The shadow of the floating ground should be darker though as I can't find it, and it should also be smaller (to lend to the height feeling). Take the base layer and copy it then rescale it down and color it black and lower the opacity.
    That's pretty much what I did - just didn't want to over do it so I have the opacity turned way down (around 25% I think). I'll make some adjustments and see what you folks think.

Things to do:

1) Raise 'floating mass' above clouds
    2) Blur/'blue' terrain more
    3) Lower opacity on 'trees'
    4) Improve the shadows on the castle
    5) Clean up 'floating pixels'
    Last edited by Steel General; 11-03-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Wip

OK, had some time to 'play around' with this some more. Based on the various comments, etc. I have received here's what's changed.

1) Moved the clouds below the 'floating island'
    2) Added "bluing" to the terrain and the foliage
    3) Fiddled with the shadows, etc. on the castle itself - not sure if I like it yet
    4) Tried to remove/clean up the 'floating pixels' but I can't seem to find out which layer they are on
    5) Adjusted the ground shadow of the 'island', making it smaller and darker, as well as moving it slightly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CouncilOf5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	7520  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast