Thread: Isolated nation.

Default Isolated nation.

Hey guys. If there was a nation isolated on an island would they build large cities instead of towns and villages?

As a resident of the UK, my answer would be cities, towns AND villages!

I don't think your question has a definitive answer. What size is the island vs its population? How are the people feeding themselves? What level of technology do they have? These are some of the factors that tend to influence how people live.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Depend on the size of the island(s). The answer would definitely be yes.

Even a small island could thrive in the right conditions: Venice.

I feel like I should give more detail. Say there is a mid-to-large sized island that is mostly grasslands, hills, and mountains. If there were large predators roaming
    the hills and the grasslands, it is unlikely that the inhabitants of the island would build their villages and towns in those predator-infested lands. So logically, they
    would be more likely to build large cities into, on, and around the mountains, correct? And if they were unable to get off the island for a long time, they would
    probably just continue building upon their cities, right? Is my logic sound?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

If they have the technology to build large cities into and on a mountain, why wouldn't they be able to create a means to kill the large predators, allowing them to build cities in much more forgiving areas (like grasslands)?

Historically, people build villages, towns, cities in areas where they have access to fresh water, trade routes, or to cultivate some natural resource. To me, it doesn't make sense that your people would build in the mountains just to get away from predators. And if the predators were that bad-ass to make it necessary to build in the mountains, why couldn't the predators just climb up the peaks and kill folks there too?

Well, the predators would be large, hairy creatures with tusks and such. The mountain-dwellers would kill them for food and fur, but mostly live away from them
    because the predators are aggressive, mammoth-sized monsters that are very willing and able to tear through any settlement , small or large. They would also
    be four-footed carnivores so they wouldn't be able to get up mountains. They also fear a species of winged creatures that attack bigger animals in packs.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

So the lowland predators are afraid of these flying predators that can take them on and win, but the fliers prefer not to go after easy-to-kill humans instead?

I'm sorry to sound nit-picky, but in order to build a good, logical background it's good to poke holes in things.

I see two plausible scenarios:

1- they are foreign settlers trying to colonize the island. The Portuguese (apparently) tried to colonize Newfoundland and were turned back by the harshness of the area, which had no dangerous predators. Either your settlers should come back with an army to deal with the problem or try to find a friendlier place. Looking elsewhere seems to be the most logical thing to do. If the area is not good, don't settle it.

2- They are native from the island. Humans became the apex predator long before he established the first cities. Mammoths were killed by rocks and woodsticks and a good tactic. As Diamond said, there is a good chance that humans have already killed them all unless 1.