Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** February 2016 Challenge: Map a Novel ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** February 2016 Challenge: Map a Novel ***

This should be a little more cut and dried than last month's challenge.

Your mission this month is to map a locale from ANY novel, short story, novella, etc etc. Sci Fi, Fantasy, Western, Horror, Mystery, whatever genre you want, whatever type of map you want. The winner of this month's Challenge will get one of these:

Name:  goldencompassofglory.png
Views: 396
Size:  3.1 KB

And also: A $20 US dollar Amazon gift card sponsored by me. I most likely will not enter this month's challenge, but if I do, and if I happen to win, it'll be the same rule as last time I did this - I get the compass, and the runner-up gets the gift card. In the case of a tie, EACH winner will get a gift card (except me).

Don't forget to title your threads like so: February 2016 Challenge: <your title goes here>

Also don't forget to preface your work-in-progress attachments/pictures with the tag: ### LATEST WIP ###

If you don't put that tag in there, people can't view your entry in the thumbnail line-up when it's time to vote.

This challenge will end on or around Monday, February 29th. The gift card may take a few days to get to the winner, however, because I'm on vacation for two weeks starting that day.

Good luck, and may the best map win!
    Last edited by Diamond; 02-04-2016 at 02:03 AM.

That's very generous of you with the gift card, Diamond. Hope it provides an extra incentive for some people to take part.

Looking forward to seeing the entries.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Great challenge! This is a great practice for anyone here at the guild hoping to take on professional work in the future!

I have intended to do a city map over Lovecraft’s Innsmouth for a while, perhaps this is the time? (Is that valid for this challenge?)

Hoping to see some awesome entries again this month!

Cheers,

Tainotim

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    I have intended to do a city map over Lovecraft’s Innsmouth for a while, perhaps this is the time? (Is that valid for this challenge?)
    I'd say that was a valid topic for the challenge and I'd love to see what you do with it!

After my attempt to murder the Hyboria map I have some ideas

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    I have intended to do a city map over Lovecraft’s Innsmouth for a while, perhaps this is the time? (Is that valid for this challenge?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I'd say that was a valid topic for the challenge and I'd love to see what you do with it!
    Great, because if you can do just a location in a novel, and not the whole novel, I might try something too. But I do think I'd like to hear from Diamond on this, since he posted the challenge.

Diamond says in his initial comment "map a locale from ANY novel..." I'd think that covers a specific location in a book, but no doubt he can clarify for you.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The shadow over Innsmouth is located in only one location mostly so I guess it fits the challenge theme perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This should be a little more cut and dried than last month's challenge.

Your mission this month is to map a locale from ANY novel, short story, novella, etc etc. Sci Fi, Fantasy, Western, Horror, Mystery, whatever genre you want, whatever type of map you want. The winner of this month's Challenge will get one of these:

Name:  goldencompassofglory.png
Views: 396
Size:  3.1 KB

And also: A $20 US dollar Amazon gift card sponsored by me. I most likely will not enter this month's challenge, but if I do, and if I happen to win, it'll be the same rule as last time I did this - I get the compass, and the runner-up gets the gift card. In the case of a tie, EACH winner will get a gift card (except me).

Don't forget to title your threads like so: February 2016 Challenge: <your title goes here>

Also don't forget to preface your work-in-progress attachments/pictures with the tag: ### LATEST WIP ###

If you don't put that tag in there, people can't view your entry in the thumbnail line-up when it's time to vote.

This challenge will end on or around Monday, February 29th. The gift card may take a few days to get to the winner, however, because I'm on vacation for two weeks starting that day.

Good luck, and may the best map win!
    What do you mean by "map a locale"? A part of a story? A world map or region map or an inn or a dungeon or a city?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

...map a LOCALE...

World, regional, city, town, village, hamlet, goatherder's hut, dungeon, part of a dungeon, temple, cathedral, forest, desert, salt mine, space station, starship, bridge, building, tavern, inn, mutant stronghold, castle, road encounter, hat factory, taco stand, barnyard, asteroid field, cyborg rally point, doctor's office, mayor's office, mafia boss' office, turkey farm..........

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facepalm.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	79854  
    Last edited by Diamond; 02-05-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast