Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Botamu -- Fantasy Map Commission

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Map Botamu -- Fantasy Map Commission

This is a commission done for a very lovely and quirky client's private RPG round, featuring a couple of odd locales (like the obsidian mountains, the giant tree and that forest of mushrooms and flowers...). It's deliberately sparsely labelled as it's going to be a completely new world for the group to explore (hence no cities, etc on the map... yet).

The client was so happy with it that I actually got a quite substantial tip on top of my payment, something I'm still rather speechless about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kristen Spicci Commission Guild Upload.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	79842

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Really loving the colours and simplicity of it Wired!

Very nice indeed! I really like the textures you've worked in on the land and, especially, the seas. That little flower garden/mushroom area, Ari's Gift, is absolutely adorable! I kinda want to know the story behind that.

Great work all round and yay for the tip!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Very nice indeed! I really like the textures you've worked in on the land and, especially, the seas. That little flower garden/mushroom area, Ari's Gift, is absolutely adorable! I kinda want to know the story behind that.

Great work all round and yay for the tip!
    Thank you! Ari's Gift is a fae forest, protected in the north-east by a "forest" of brambles and encroached upon by the Mother Tree, a mountain-sized, wandering tree/organism/demi-god that draws the lifeforce from the lands (thus leaving the desert to the east in its wake). As for the textures, I've used three different ones in various copies and layer styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Really loving the colours and simplicity of it Wired!
    Thank you.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

There isn't anything I do not like about this map. Great job indeed!. I'm loving Ari's Gift.

Great map, but I'm not sure about the way the forests border a body of water as large as an ocean. Probably just me being a geography noob. Also, did you start off this project by hand drawing? Just wondering. Other than that, great job

Congrats on the commission Wired. Nice linework. The colors look good too, though in the spirit of constructive criticism I'd say that the color transitions seem a bit abrupt; adding a wider gradient would help I think.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer

Well done, I like it very much. That flowery region must have been bit tricky to draw!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    There isn't anything I do not like about this map. Great job indeed!. I'm loving Ari's Gift.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTree View Post
    Great map, but I'm not sure about the way the forests border a body of water as large as an ocean. Probably just me being a geography noob. Also, did you start off this project by hand drawing? Just wondering. Other than that, great job
    Thanks! What exactly bugs you about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Congrats on the commission Wired. Nice linework. The colors look good too, though in the spirit of constructive criticism I'd say that the color transitions seem a bit abrupt; adding a wider gradient would help I think.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks, arsheesh. I see what you mean; as a semi-defence I can only say I'm not sure how much of a gradient I could have implemented as many of the transitions result from the "unnatural" regions and how they came to be. Though the gradient between the Desert of the Damned and the steppe to its east could really have been more smooth...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilgoth View Post
    Well done, I like it very much. That flowery region must have been bit tricky to draw!
    Planning out how to actually do it was harder than drawing it.

Banned User

A couple of other quirks in your map ...

Try to keep your deserts and your lush forests at different latitudes: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...jection_SW.JPG . You can look up Hadley circulation to learn about why.

Volcanic smoke is white: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...8-1230x800.jpg

Not sure what the red is supposed to be in the pits, but if that's supposed to be lava, it's pretty impossible. Open lava would be constantly flowing out, due to pressures deeper in the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast