Thread: The Dancing Islands -- WIP

Post The Dancing Islands -- WIP

I have been working on a map of a place called The Dancing Islands. This is my first attempt at using Paint Shop Pro to draw mountains. I would love any suggestions or critiques.

I am planning to place a few towns and villages on the islands, but I haven't had the chance yet.
    Last edited by Map Vandal; 10-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Whoa! I'm liking this a whole heckuva lot. Love the painterly feel.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah I agree, the only little nit-picky thing I can say is that some of the northern-most mountains have parts that look like they are floating - but that could just be me.

I used to use PSP quite abit, but have gotten away from it for the evil that is PhotoShop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Same here...never under-estimate the powah of the dark side.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Yeah I agree, the only little nit-picky thing I can say is that some of the northern-most mountains have parts that look like they are floating - but that could just be me.

I used to use PSP quite abit, but have gotten away from it for the evil that is PhotoShop.
    I have never used photoshop before. Is there much difference between what the two programs can do?

Nice map Vandal. I think your mountains look very effective. I think their good detail gets a bit lost with the oil paint effect. I dont get the impression they are floating. Nice work.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Map Vandal View Post
    I have never used photoshop before. Is there much difference between what the two programs can do?
    There are some differences, but overall they have very similar functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Nice map Vandal. I think your mountains look very effective. I think their good detail gets a bit lost with the oil paint effect. I dont get the impression they are floating. Nice work.

Torq
    Maybe its that effect that's throwing me off.. aww hell I'm old and half-blind anyway. Still a nice map overall.
    Last edited by Steel General; 11-03-2008 at 10:51 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I haven't used PSP since version 6, then when I got PS 7 I had a large uphill climb and spent a few years just mucking stuff out on my own while reading various tuts around the web. Don't know what the current version of PSP can do but the current version of GIMP has many things that translate across both PSP and PS.