Thread: Noobie map

Post Noobie map

Hi all ...

I've been lurking on the site for more than a year and finally had the time to work on a map. It's for a book in final edit and need something to orient the reader. I've been using Gimp for years and tried to use that for maps but it's hard and not as versatile as PS. After a few false starts with a few other programs, I fixed on CC3 for the attached. If I plan to make maps as beautiful as so many other maps I've seen on this site, I'll need to move to PS.

I have a version of the attached that is strictly the political names and borders. Those names/features are on different "sheets" so that I can make different map versions for close-ups just by selecting different sheets. And the built-in "effects" on CC3 are very convenient. PS and Gimp do that with layers and a major reason why I'll probably stick with these programs. I think that CC3 is helping me learn what is possible with the more powerful Gimp and PS.

(I just noticed the guide to labeling, which if I had read, I'd likely not have started.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X10-3-overview.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	79848

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

A nice start, Ray, and definately leaps and bounds ahead of my first map!

Hi Ray, welcome to the Guild! That's a very nice first map. Well done on that! I think quite a few Guilders use CC3 and you can achieve some good results with it, though there is a certain satisfaction in creating your own map from scratch. You've certainly come to the right place to learn, so don't be shy about posting works in progress and asking for advice.

Looking forward to seeing your future work.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Banned User

Hi Ray, welcome to the Guild! Good job for a first map.

What ChickPea said. Welcome to the Guild Ray.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh