Thread: Syl'valla Map WIP

Guild Novice

Wip Syl'valla Map WIP

Hi. I'm pretty new here. I've poked around the forums a few times and finally made an account.

This is the first map I've really worked on. It's for a story I've been writing and was hoping to get some feedback. I've been messing with it off and on for a long time. It's still got a lot of work that needs doing. I have to rework some of the color. I need to label regions and cities and so on, which I dread. I'm hopeless with fonts and making text look good. I've just been looking this for so long I feel like I can't judge what looks good or bad, so I've love some fresh eyes to take a look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blank map.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	8.27 MB 
ID:	79882

Looks good!

My biggest suggestion would be to reevaluate your rivers as they do indeed fork a lot, and your lakes have multiple outflows. Check out these guidelines: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822

The main continental coastlines look great and jagged which makes the round vulcanic islands in the South stand out more.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Yes as Metzger said, your rivers tend to unnanturally fork. Generally speaking rivers only ever flow in one direction and the only forks you'd find are where the water source join it. A bit more colour (or perhaps just more embellishments) would definitely bring this far more to life. A good start though amnesia_jack, it will be interesting what changes you add to it. Also, I quite like the tiny contour lines you have going on, though perhaps they are a little subtle!

Banned User

Hi Jack, Welcome to the Guild! Your rivers are badly messed up, but the colors and textures are quite nice. I'd say it's a good start, and you can easily fix the rivers after you study that Rivers post. Keep working on it

Guild Novice

Thank you all very much. I guess I know what I'll be working on fixing this weekend

Hey Jack, looks like you got a great start! I'm pretty new here too and my first map got the same notes as yours did here. Rivers! Take a look at the link MetzgerWilli gave you and poke around elsewhere in the forums. Some good info in there. Keep it up, would love to see your future progress!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

First off, welcome tot he Guild! Besides the rivers issue, I'd recommend adding some variation in color based on elevation (for instance, making the mountain regions brown or grey). Also, the alpine regions are pretty abrupt. I'd recommend making the snow line a bit more gradual. Otherwise you are off to a great start.

About the labels, spend some time browsing the finished maps section to see how others have done theirs. This will no doubt give you some inspiration.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

It's been a while and I finally found some time to work on this map again so I figured I would post an update.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	8.51 MB 
ID:	81094