Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nocturnal Scenes

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You know what they say Big Leaves, Big.... err Trunk?

Looks fantastic!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip One last update!

OK, one last update of the map, before I go gaming...

I made the leaves considerably smaller, so I think it is better now. I think in desaturating this version, I did it less so than the previous, so I may still need to desaturate some more.

And don't worry about the criticizms you're throwing at me, because, as I said this is more of an experiment to get that "nighttime mood" right with a tangible feel.

I plan on using the techniques learned with this project to create a village - village hall, tavern/inn, a few shops and several homes, a chapel, a creepy cemetery, maybe a small bridge crossing a black creek, and a road through the village, all under the moonlight.

Its giving me all sorts of ideas for gaming - goblins in the night, undead walking, a serial killer on the loose last seen on the road to the village, ghosts and ghoulies, or perhaps an accursed witch's hometown.

I think I've just about got the techniques mastered.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nitescene.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	558.6 KB 
ID:	7460  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Much better with the desaturation. Looks really atmospheric. My only very minor critique is that the leaves (oak leaves by the look of them) are enormous.

I do have to say, comparing them to the skeleton size, those leaves are totally in the realm of possibility. Granted, I am not a tree expert, however, I spent many years working with my stepfather logging, so I can say I have a bit of experience in this area.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I thought the leaves were large as well, but only because I'm assuming normal size trees. An oak leaf is generally the same size as your palm. I think the new size is better and you have pretty much nailed the effect you were after. Well done as always!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

NIce stuff! The most recent version is a good mix for the leaf size/desaturation debate that you have created.

The colors on this are amazing
    Something witty and pithy

If ever you are unsure of the scale for leaves in a scene or general tree info, you can look here: http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landsc...p?vwi=bm9uZQ==
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    If ever you are unsure of the scale for leaves in a scene or general tree info, you can look here: http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landsc...p?vwi=bm9uZQ==

Nice find. rep++

I was thinking something along the lines of a cross between a Pin Oak (6 in. per the site) and White Oak (8 in. per site). I KNOW I have seen some type of Oak leaves with the shape of Pin Oak leaves (and the reference image by GP) but with 8 inch or so leaves as I mentioned before, which seems about right for GP's image scale.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

These are lovely. Great work on the colour scheme.

Guild Member

Absolutely amazing... It really does look like a photograph.

Rep+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast