Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nocturnal Scenes

Wip Nocturne Cemetery

So onwards with the Night time experiment!

Welcome to Nocturne Cemetery - in the land of perpetual night, where all food is imported from outside this cursed district. When its time to go, the villagers of Nocturne give you a nice place to rest.

Still you can expect ghosts, grave robbers, and the occasional ghoul at this final resting place.

Is this too dark?

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nocturne.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	914.0 KB 
ID:	7831  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Seems fine to me. Looks really good, nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks fantastic GP!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks great! The only nitpick I can find is the fence seems to have perspective, but the rest of the scene is top down. It could just be the shadow fooling me though.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Fence is top down!

RP, the fence is top down, what you are looking at is the shadow cast by the wrought iron fence on the ground - notice that the shadow follow the cast direction of other shadows in the map. That was one effect I was going for, since I am creating directional shadows in this map, versus top down halo shadows.

Note the straight lined object between the stone fence posts - that's the actual fence.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

That's what I thought.
    Here's another nitpick, discovered the shadows don't seem to be coming from the same light source. I drew red lines over the edges of the shadow casts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	7835
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post Yeah, I need to tighten that up.

Yeah, I need to tighten them up. 3 different shadows were applied separately. The drop shadows off the trees were created first. The shadows of the wrought iron fence and post came second. I created the shadows off the tombstones in 3D and tried to similate the same direction for light.

But you're right its off a bit. Since my 3D shadows are more difficult to fix - I would have to rerender with a new light source, I will realign the drop shadows in the same direction as the tombstones.

Because these were created in separate applications - as 3 separate thoughts I ought to focus in one direction for light.

Good eye, RP!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

No problem. Like I said, it was a total nitpick. I think overall it is a great image.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123